Menu

Artistic Pursuits

ABQmom

I have been thinking about using this with my dc this coming school year. My problem is that I can't decide what book or books to buy for the age and abilities of all my kids.

So, what would you do if you were me? My oldest two dd's like art, but we haven't done it a whole lot. When they were younger, I did How to Teach Art to Children one year, and they've played around with the Draw Write Now books. Two years ago they went through Mark Kistler's Draw Squad. We have done some art history with the Venezia books, and Discovering Great Artists. Usually our art history lessons are stronger and more frequent during our study of the Middle Ages. Beyond that year, we've done very little.

My 8 year old ds generally does not like to draw or color but will do some cutting and pasting. He used to HATE anything related to art, but as he gets older he accepts it better. He does enjoy picture study.

My littlest is a girl--aged 5, and she adores art and anything to do with it. She could sit at a table and color, cut, and paste all day. She loves the "Katie" books, and she is very bright and not afraid to try something.

Should I go for this curriculum given our needs? And, how many levels do I need to buy and which ones? :confused:

My dc will be in 8th, 6th, 4th, and K this coming fall.

Thanks for reading through all of this!! Oh, and I forgot to add that we are studying mostly American History next year except for 8th grader who will also do some world history--modern time period.

Edited by ABQmom

The 1st of the Grade 4-6 books studies US Art. It teaches "real" art concepts, like shading, texture, etc. It would probably not be much fun for your youngest, but good for the others, even the 8th grader, I think. Your Ker would probably do better with the younger series. It uses more "enjoyable" media. The 1st of the 4-6 grade books uses pencil and ink only. The 2nd one adds color.

We really like Artistic Pursuits!

Since we were studying Am Hx this year, I got the gr 4-6 book 1 for my 1st and 4th graders. It was perfectly fine for my 1st grader. I think it could be used for your older kids, too, since they aren't 'serious' artists.

There is a lot to learn so each child can take what s/he wants out of it. Since the lesson might be about "line" or "shading" each child can draw at his/her level. I think the gr 4-6 book may not capture the interest of your youngest.

I think this is a great program!

So, another question. If I choose the 4-6 grade books, then should I start with book 1? Do they build on each other? I noticed that book 1 is drawing skills and book 2 is color and something else. Anyway, my oldest 2 have had quite a bit of drawing instruction already.

Edited by ABQmom