Menu

has anyone tried/can compare latin for children and prima latina series?

Well, dd used Prima Latina at the end of first grade/beginning of second. Overall, I liked the program, but I didn't want to continue with it because of the lack of macrons and non-classical pronunciation. If I hadn't had three years of high school Latin with macrons and classical pronunciation, that I do actually remember somewhat, I think I would have felt differently. ;)

We then tried Latin for Children, immediately on the heels of PL. Dd did really well with the first few chapters, then it was like we hit a brick wall. She was still young. I put it aside for awhile. We tried again near the end of second grade. Same phenomenon. We tried at the beginning of third grade. Brick wall. I waited until her spelling and a few other things improved drastically. We tried again a few months ago. She just has zero retention with it. I know a lot of people have great results with it, but something about the program and her - they just don't click. She's essentially working above grade level in all areas except spelling, so at this point, I don't feel like it's a need to wait even longer to begin Latin.

We're going to try Lively Latin when we start fourth grade in the autumn. I hope third program's the charm! :tongue_smilie: