Menu

If you've used Phonetic Zoo from IEW, let's talk!

Tiffani

I'm considering using this next year with my boys, but I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly. I want to know if you've used it if you liked it, if you didn't, why, why, why. Why did you drop it, why are you still using it, etc, etc......

Thanks,

Tiffani

We used it for the first time this school year and both of my boys really loved it!!

Spelling is a weak area for my oldest son, and it's a breeze for my youngest son. Both did well with the program.

Prior to using The Phonetic Zoo, we used the Natural Speller, which also worked well for both of my boys. I thought I'd give the Phonetic Zoo a try when we switched to IEW for writing and grammar.

I wouldn't recommend it for very young children, however, because it's not like most spelling programs, where Lesson 1 is "cat", "hat", "that", etc.

It starts out with some "meaty words", even in Level A.

I'm also interested for my DD who has some vision problems. I hate to invest the money if it's just a bunch of flashcards, but it looks like a good program that might be a little less teacher-intensive than All About Spelling which we've used (when I can get around to it) this year. AAS is great, I just don't always have the time.