Menu

Brown spot on erupting permanent tooth?

My dd, who is 5yo, has a brown spot on her first tooth coming in!!!! I just saw it at the gum line. Anyone ever had this happen to their dc? The dentist office is closed, so I left a message.

Is this a cavity? How would one get a big cavity on a newly erupting permanent tooth?

If it is not a cavity, any ideas what it is or what cause it?

Yes, you can have cavities on newly erupting teeth. Definitely take her to the dentist to be checked. Sometimes there are discolorations on teeth, but a brown/black spot is more suspicious. Is this a front tooth or molar? If it's a molar, it's possible it's blood that's gotten into the groove of the tooth and that will go away within a few days.

Yep, it can be a cavity or a weak spot. Sometimes things happen while the tooth is forming that create weaknesses in brand new teeth. When my oldest was 2.5, I noticed that she had a horizontal line of brown specks straight across the front of three teeth, off to the side. We'd taken impeccable care of her teeth up to that point, and the dentist said it was nothing we did or didn't do. He suggested that maybe I'd had a fever or an illness when I was pregnant with her at the point when those teeth were forming, and it may have affected them. Weird, huh? Don't panic, and call your dentist as soon as you can. They'll know what to do.

It can be a spot without enamel. I had a cousin who had lots of brown spots on his teeth, and he just didn't have enough enamel. I don't know more than that, except that at some point he did get a coating or sealant both for cosmetic purposes and to protect from cavities.

I had a brown spot on one tooth for several years, possibly dating back to childhood, and my dentist said it was a stain, or something. I don't remember, except that it wasn't decay. They covered it and now you wouldn't know it was there.