Menu

rosetta stone-- is 7 too young to benefit?

Penelope

I got the okay from DH to get Rosetta Stone Spanish if I think we will really use it. Well, okay, I don't need DH's approval, but I know I will feel bad if $400 worth of software is on our computer and we don't get anything out of it.

What I am going for is fun exposure that results in some retention. I do plan to do several years of Latin beginning in third or fourth grade, but I don't want to wait so long to begin a modern language. I have tried without success (yet) to integrate other Spanish learning into our homeschool. It just takes too long to do it myself when I have other small children.

Is Rosetta Stone something ds7 can do by himself, and then discuss with me (I would look at what he is doing, on my own, after the little ones are asleep)? I know he would love anything that is done on the computer.

I used the Rosetta stone with my daughter when she was very young for practice. I can't remember exactly how old she was when I started her on it but it was probably 1st or 2nd grade.

You can set it up with different parameters. For example, you can set it up to show just the pictures and and hear the word, or just the pictures and read the word, or the pictures, hearing and seeing the word. It's up to you. I would let my daughter play on it for about 20-30 minutes and she did great on it.

I think it would be just fine for your ds7 to start using RS now. It's structured in a way that will prevent him from moving through the lessons more quickly than he should, so you don't need to worry that he's on lesson 10, but still hasn't mastered lesson 2. The software is set up to repeat the parts where the student has made errors, and this keeps students from jumping ahead too quickly and getting confused.

We use RS Spanish 1 with ds9, and he's doing very well with it. He has yet to score less than a 96 at the end of each lesson -- the first time through it -- so I think the program is very well-designed. Your ds may find a few lessons to be a bit more complex than others, but I think the program moves along at a nice pace, with something new in each lesson, as well as some review of words and phrases that have already been covered.

One thing we do that could help you, is that we have an online Spanish/English translator in a separate window, and if we come across a phrase that we can't identify from the picture, we just type it in to the translator so we know what it means. It eliminates a lot of guesswork that would otherwise really annoy my ds, who likes to know the exact meaning of everything.

Anyway, sorry to ramble -- I hope you like RS if you try it. It has been excellent for a non-Spanish-speaking mom like me, so I hope it will work for you and your ds, too.

Cat

I used the Rosetta stone with my daughter when she was very young for practice. I can't remember exactly how old she was when I started her on it but it was probably 1st or 2nd grade.

You can set it up with different parameters. For example, you can set it up to show just the pictures and and hear the word, or just the pictures and read the word, or the pictures, hearing and seeing the word. It's up to you. I would let my daughter play on it for about 20-30 minutes and she did great on it.

Thanks! That is helpful. I'm glad to hear it worked for a second grader.

I think it would be just fine for your ds7 to start using RS now. It's structured in a way that will prevent him from moving through the lessons more quickly than he should, so you don't need to worry that he's on lesson 10, but still hasn't mastered lesson 2. The software is set up to repeat the parts where the student has made errors, and this keeps students from jumping ahead too quickly and getting confused.

Oh, I didn't know that, that's great. :)

One thing we do that could help you, is that we have an online Spanish/English translator in a separate window, and if we come across a phrase that we can't identify from the picture, we just type it in to the translator so we know what it means. It eliminates a lot of guesswork that would otherwise really annoy my ds, who likes to know the exact meaning of everything.

That's a really good idea, will have to remember it.

Thank you!

I bought The Easy Spanish, Jr. to do with my second grader next year

This is what I have, but it just doesn't get done. :( We have done two lessons. I've purchased several other things, too, and finally realized that I can't have a mom-intensive program for an elective subject. I know many people don't consider language elective, but since I have a dawdler.... ;) it is, at this stage. I hope you have better success with Easy Spanish, it seems good.

A related ?? :

If I buy RS now... my DD is nearly 7... will I need to buy another version in a year or so or will it grow with my child. In other words - if we use it regularly (say 30 minutes a day 5x week) - will it last a 3-5 years ??

A related ?? :

If I buy RS now... my DD is nearly 7... will I need to buy another version in a year or so or will it grow with my child. In other words - if we use it regularly (say 30 minutes a day 5x week) - will it last a 3-5 years ??

RS comes in 3 levels. You can buy them separately or as a package deal that includes 2 or 3 levels. Theoretically, the package deals are a better value, but if you're not sure you'll like the program or that you'll want to stick with it for all 3 levels, you're better off ordering Level 1 to see how it goes.

I can't imagine that Level 1 would last anyone for 3-5 years, because you'd have to move very, very slowly through the lessons, and I think that, in order for the lessons to be effective, it's best to do RS on a regular basis. That said, I don't know exactly how long one level could last, but RS's customer service is very helpful on the phone, so you could call them and ask what they think.

Cat

Thanks! That is helpful. I'm glad to hear it worked for a second grader.

Oh yeah. I'm sure a 3 year old could do it. My Autistic 8 yo. son can do it as well. I have the Powerpac version that has several languages on it. I use the English setting for my Autistic son. The biggest challenge with a younger kid will be getting them to stay seated long enough to benefit from it. If I remember correctly, I think there are only like 20 or so frames of pictures and if they get most of them right then they can go on to the next set.