Menu

Weighted Grades? - How do you separate out each subject?

I was just finishing up the year and would like to know how others are separating out their subjects and weighting them.

Math for example: how do you do this?

70% tests

20% cummulative end of the year exam

10% daily work

What about English? How do you weight compositions compared to tests?

Do you include daily work in your total grade?

What about science (labs, etc.), History, Literature...

I would just like to know what others are doing and how?

Thanks,

Ann in SC

Math I require homework/practice and I correct it (and require him to re-do as necessary) but I don't grade it. His grade is based on tests and final, and a project if there is one. We're doing Statistics right now and it's 20% project, 15% for each of three unit tests, and 35% for the final. Next year is Geometry, and there are more tests (five, I think, plus the final) and no project, so the weighting will reflect that.

Science next year (our first high school science) I will be counting a lab grade, based on his keeping a proper lab notebook. This year I've not counted labs in his grade - just the workbook - but next year we're upping the requirements. He has to prepare the notebook before the lab, enter all his findings and write up the experiment. I don't know what percentage that will be yet... probably something like 20% notebook, 20% quizzes, 10% papers (several short writing assignments), 25% project, 25% final exam.

I'd probably do more on the daily work/ homework and less on exams if I found that he didn't "test well"... but in our case I'm fairly confident that his work on exams is pretty representative of his work in general, so I'm not too concerned about his crashing and burning on the final when he's worked hard all year.

Lit/Comp and History I've never done tests for... So far the plan is to grade strictly on his writing assignments but I might re-think that... Maybe a nice long essay test at the end of a run of related topics...

Latin and Spanish I only grade daily work and don't do quizzes or tests, although he takes the National Latin Exam (and I'm looking into a Spanish exam for next year...) And then regular daily practice work in language arts, like spelling and grammar and penmanship practice I require but don't grade at all, and the same with things like art and music and phys.ed.

Math and English (Grammar)

I average the daily homework grades and make them equal one test grade. That way my child will take homework seriously and not brush it off.

History, I make tests for each chapter and average those. Any major papers count as one test.

Science (We do Apologia) I have a convoluted way of figuring a grade. I give 10% for the OYO questions in the chapter. 10% for the review questions at end of chapter, 10% for the practice problems and 70% for the module tests.

Literature is a hard one to grade since it is more subjective. I try to assign a grade to how well he answered the discussion questions, and a grade to any papers he writes. The rest is subjective on how well, I feel he is comprehending the material he reads.

I did not weight my homeschool students' work. All work counted equally, and we rarely had tests for assessment...even in math.

In my classroom, however, I emphasize the daily diligence of daily work by making homework 50%, tests 20%, projects 20% and quizzes 10%.

HTH,

Lori

I have, this year, created a system where homework/daily assignments are worth 50% of the grade. I think that rewards the effort of actually participating in the everyday grind. Not sure how I will do it next year for high school- probably weight tests at 30%, quizzes at 20% and homework at 50%- of course it will depend on the subject.