Menu

Which philosophy does WTM follow?

For those of you who are familiar with philosophical viewpoints, which philosopher would you say WTM follows and why?

Plato since he wanted to build a great state (WTM supports education as a tool for job skills and sound citizenship page 520-ish)

Aristotle since he supported the incorporation of arts into education and used education to build a virtuous man?

Any thoughts? I'm writing a paper on classical education homeschooling.

Edited by Laura R (FL)

I'm inclined to go with a more Aristotelian view of Classical Education. I believe that in one of Bauer's earlier chapters she discusses (briefly) the virtue children gain from the discipline that comes with following a program like Classical Education. Aristotle emphasizes the importance of virtue much more than Plato. With regard to Plato, Socrates emphasizes in "The Republic" that the goal of education isn't necessarily in order to produce critical thinkers, but good citizens--thus his reasoning behind telling certain stories to children as they grow up, and covering up others which might lead them to defiance against the state. Along the lines of being a good citizen, I believe Aristotle, who says that humans are political creatures by nature and must participate actively in their society, would agree that reasoning produces the best thinking. Moreover, Aristotle introduced formal logic to the Western World, so he should definitely get some Classical Education credit for that. Anyway, that's what I would argue.

We have to have one, right? Just like in all of our board polls?

I vote for a combination of Aesop and God.

Aesop: "Slow and steady wins the race"

God: "Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with all thy might."

and: "...grew in wisdom, and in knowledge, and in stature, and in favor with God and man."

and: "Always be ready to give an account of yourself, and the reason for the hope that is within you" (that's a paraphrase, but you know what I mean.)

Edited by Carol in Cal.
Spelling, blush

I was leaning more toward Aristotle, too, but needing confirmation to ease my doubt.

Yes, Carol in CA, *I* would agree with your interpretation, but it's not quoted in the book. I don't want to presume to add anything.

For this course and this paper, I needed a concrete classical reference. Thanks to all!