Menu

Any help for word retrieval?

The SLP told me that my 8yo had poor visual memory, which was not my experience. Her reasoning was that he couldn't remember sight words. She recommended that I get him Memory and start him off slow with 3 or 4 sets so that he could be successful.

He beat all his siblings with a large number of pairs laid out with no problem. He does not have visual memory issues!:glare:

He does have wod retrieval problems, though. This is apparent in more than just sight words. Numbers are beyond him for the most part. If I show him an 8, he could hand me 8 blocks, but 9 times out of 10 who could not tell me 8. Letters are somewhat better, but often he gives me sounds insteas of names and vice versa.

Is there anything I can do to help him with word retrieval?

Word retrieval problems are something a SLP should identify. That would be the profession that knows if there is anything to do to help it. It may be related to rapid naming, which will affect reading. The PATH program, used by some vision therapists claims to help processing speed and I believe also rapid naming. You can google it to check the research, which was all conducted by the creator of the software, but at least is research. :)

Word retrieval problems are something a SLP should identify. That would be the profession that knows if there is anything to do to help it. It may be related to rapid naming, which will affect reading. The PATH program, used by some vision therapists claims to help processing speed and I believe also rapid naming. You can google it to check the research, which was all conducted by the creator of the software, but at least is research. :)

Ahh, well she isn't going down that road. Maybe next time we'll get a more open-minded speech therapist. She says he has memory problems and that is that - we need to work on his memory. Word retrieval problems are just part of his memory problems. This is the same lady who said that phonemic awareness had nothing to do with dyslexia.

She just thinks they should go to school and then they can get the help they need.