Menu

Are there grandparents on here who are raising grandkids?

Hi Everyone,

I have a friend who is writing an article on grandparents who are raising their grandkids.

Do we have any on this board? And, if yes, are you interested in being interviewed?

My friend is a great person and will treat you with total respect and care.

Alicia

I'm not a grandparent, but when I'm working in the hospital, I'm asked to go see patients on the medical floors who report that they "would like to speak with a counselor about their current stress level."

I would have to say a good one-third of the patients I have seen are ladies in their 50s and 60s who are raising their grandchildren for one reason or other. It seems even worse than the sandwich generation we heard about in the 1980s...these women are dealing with raising children, physical issues which can result in a loss of independence, declining health of spouses, all on a limited income...

Of course, I have only seen those who are in the hospital over their own health concerns, but once you speak to a grandmother raising her grandchild and dealing with her husband's dementia as well as her own stage-4 colon cancer, it sticks with you.

I hope your friend finds the material she needs. This is an issue that needs attention.

:001_smile:

I'm not a grandparent, but when I'm working in the hospital, I'm asked to go see patients on the medical floors who report that they "would like to speak with a counselor about their current stress level."

I would have to say a good one-third of the patients I have seen are ladies in their 50s and 60s who are raising their grandchildren for one reason or other. It seems even worse than the sandwich generation we heard about in the 1980s...these women are dealing with raising children, physical issues which can result in a loss of independence, declining health of spouses, all on a limited income...

Of course, I have only seen those who are in the hospital over their own health concerns, but once you speak to a grandmother raising her grandchild and dealing with her husband's dementia as well as her own stage-4 colon cancer, it sticks with you.

I hope your friend finds the material she needs. This is an issue that needs attention.

:001_smile:

Thankfully I am a young grandma. I'm in my 50's and have 8 grandchildren, in addition to our 10 yo dd that is a beam of sunshine in our lives. We also have my 78 yo dm living with us -- so we are truly, truly a sandwiched generation in our family. I have no complaints though. I love my life!

Blessings,

Lucinda