Menu

Photographers-can I ask a question?

When I see beautiful photographs taken indoors on people's blogs, I always wonder how they got enough light to take the picture. It's obvious they did not use a flash.

We live in a very bright home...lots of windows everywhere, sun shining in, but almost always my camera wants to use the flash indoors. If I don't use a flash indoors, the pictures are almost always too dark. Sooo, how are these other people doing it? Do they just carry around a special light box wherever they go???

Thanks.

Does your camera have a manual setting? If so, you need to raise the ISO and lower the Fstop. Those words may mean nothing to you LOL....you can look in your user manual for an explanation if you have a manual setting on your camera.

With a point and shoot camera, the photographs will look more grainy with a higher ISO than if you were shooting with a DSLR though.

Does your camera have a manual setting? If so, you need to raise the ISO and lower the Fstop. Those words may mean nothing to you LOL....you can look in your user manual for an explanation if you have a manual setting on your camera.

With a point and shoot camera, the photographs will look more grainy with a higher ISO than if you were shooting with a DSLR though.

I have one of those really expensive Nikon DSLR cameras. But obviously don't know how to use it correctly! I'm great at composition, but lacking in the technical department unfortunately. So, yes, our camera does have a manual setting, and no, I don't know what ISO and Fstop mean. I guess I'll have to dig out my manual and learn. It's good to know there is something I can do to get better light indoors without a flash or light box. I never knew that! DUH. :001_huh:

My husband is the photographer. The one concept I've grasped is you have to let the light in the camera to get the fine details. This means opening the lens hole( F-stop) wider and leaving the shutter open longer.

My little camera has an automatic setting for lowlight/ noflash that works great for indoor head and shoulder shots.

You may have to stabilize the camera at some point. This stabilizing ranges from holding your breath and tripoding your elbows on your chest, to a monpod or tripod for leaving the shutter open even longer for beautiful closeups of flowers or insects.

Best fun. :thumbup:I'm sure there's more detailed info on the web.