Menu

newbie needs curriculum advice

Guest islandmamma

Guest islandmamma

hi in sept i will start hsing my kids will b - 11,9,5,almost3 i have been looking at a lot of curriculum but i am sooo confused how do you know wat is best for ur child? i am going to the fpea convntion next week, but i still feeel so lost!!

I recommend Cathy Duffy's 100 top picks book. It might help direct you and figure out your kids' learning styles. A lot of times it is just trial and error. It also may different for each child. I was homeschooled and we hopped from curriculum to curriculum. We ended up fine. So if something doesn't work then try something else. That is what the swap board is for LOL. I also find that writing down my goals or priorities or things I'd like to see in a curriculum and then use that to see what curriculum comes the closest is helpful. Also sometimes when you are just starting out it is easier to go with boxed curriculum. There are a lot out now that have more of a non boxed feel.

:iagree:

The first time I went to a large convention, I was completely overwhelmed. It helped when I used Cathy Duffy's books to narrow down what things I thought would work, then focused on examining those at the convention.

Good luck!

:iagree:

I'm going to third this. If you start with Cathy's book, then you can start to understand your children's learning styles and what you want your homeschool to look like. Then she will help you to know what some of the good curriculums are to fit both those learning styles and your teaching style. Armed with that information, you can go look at what you THINK will be your favorites in person. Some you will love and buy on the spot. Others you will hate and wonder why on earth anyone gave them such good reviews :lol:. You may have a few that you are in limbo over at that point. Come back here and ask questions about those to get help making final choices. Somewhere in the midst of all of that, it will begin to come together and you stop feeling so lost.