Menu

Latin curriculum

iwka

When I click search "Latin", millions of posts show up :tongue_smilie:

1. I am looking for Latin curriculum for 1st, 4th, 6th grader and if you would say from your experience why are you using this program or why did you stoip using it?

2. I would appreciate also the variations of programs as continuous study over the years.

3. If you planned to study Latin only for 2,3 years and then jump into other foreign languages, which Latin programs would you chose?

4. Latin that really helps with grammar in 1st-8th grades?

5. If you study Latin, do you also use "Latin roots" type books?

Thanks

Edited by iwka

Not exactly sure what all you're asking but maybe the name of a few Latin curriculums would help you start researching?

Memoria Press: Prima Latina, Latina Christiana, Henle guides

Classical Academic Press: Song School Latin, Latin for Children, Latin Alive

Lively Latin

Galore Park: Latin Prep (for your oldest)

Greek 'n Stuff: Latin's Not So Tough

There are more but I think those are the ones that most people are using with these age groups.

I am not sure at all I even want to start Latin...and if I would include the 1st grader that would be only in something like chants and songs, maybe some vocabulary, without any written work required.

I am planning to include Polish this year for all of my kids and I am not sure if I want to do Latin this coming year or wait until next, when we go again to the Ancient rotation cycle (with TOG Y1)

Are you sure you want to start latin with a first grader?

With littles, like the first grader, the "Latin's Not So Tough" is a good one. They have primers, and they're written for young ones. It's a simple workbook style, comes with pronunciation cd's too, if you wish, that starts with just learning letters and simple things to build a base.

www.greeknstuff.com

If you are looking for something with songs and chants that requires no writing, you might want to look at Song School Latin by Classical Academic Press. I teach Latin at a homeschool co-op and this is what I used last year with 4-6 year olds. Some of the parents bought the book and had their kids do some of the writing in the book (there's hardly any). Some didn't even buy the book. It is so easy to use and so basic, but it's a great way to get the kids feet wet. Even your older kids might enjoy it. It's not very expensive and the CD comes with the book.

If you are looking for something with songs and chants that requires no writing, you might want to look at Song School Latin by Classical Academic Press.

I was looking at this last night. It seems to be a wonderful option for the little ones.

Thanks for this post! I was doing a forum search on "Latin" for the same reason! My ds-8 is halfway through Prima Latina but he is grumbling and finding it boring (I kind of agree with him-the DVD is helpful but strictly a "talking head" lecture format). I'm looking for an alternative for next year as well as something I may be able to include my dd in. I am glad to see some options listed here!

For a Catholic family especially I would use a program that teaches ecclesiastical pronunciation/church Latin not classical. Memoria Press is easy to use well planned and a natural foundation for Father Henle's Latin in middle school. Also they publish teacher guides etc for Henle that are really superb. You might also enjly the books by Memoria including the copywork and Latin hymns , vulgate Bible translation etc I really feel strongly that their method parts to whole and materials are a great fit for young families. My dd started Prima Latina in 1st and it was just fine .

My younger dd, the one I spoke of to you before who wants to learn Polish, had a year of Prima Latina but was bored with it, I could tell. Then we tried Latin for Children, which seemed much better, but it was at that point she confessed to me that she wants to learn Greek as her ancient language and Polish as her living language.

Say, can I just send her to MO to learn Polish with your family?

My older dd went through 1.5 years of Latina Christiana, also got very bored, but now has had one year of Latin online using Wheelock's (a college text) and loves Latin above all else! She's already signed up for next year. I think it was very beneficial for her to wait until she was 14 to really dig into Latin because she had the abstract thinking ability and the motivation and stamina to really learn at a higher level and give her best.

My younger dd, the one I spoke of to you before who wants to learn Polish, had a year of Prima Latina but was bored with it, I could tell. Then we tried Latin for Children, which seemed much better, but it was at that point she confessed to me that she wants to learn Greek as her ancient language and Polish as her living language.

Your daughter's desire to learn Greek reminds of something one of my college Greek professors once said: The only reason to learn Latin is because it helps you learn Greek.

I don't entirely agree, but I remember thinking that was pretty funny.

On another note, one of things I like about Classical Academic Press is that they give the option of Classical or Ecclesiastical pronunciation. However, I do think it's a pretty big leap from Song School Latin to Latin for Children. Minimus looks like a good curriculum to use in between. Plus, Minimus adds a nice "fun" factor that kids may need sometimes when learning Latin.

Well, that's interesting! Learning Latin to learn Greek!

I had zero experience in either language before my children became fascinated with them. My Latin-enthusiast has no interest in Greek (yet?) and vice versa. I enjoyed Latin as far as I could do it with my dd, especially the connection to English and the puzzle of working out word order and meaning, and the teensy amount of Greek I've done with dd10 (Greek Alphabet Code Cracker) has been so interesting, too.

As for sending dd10 to MO to learn Polish, I so wish I could. I'm dead serious - Polish immersion Mom! In the meantime, do any of your kids need a pen pal? My dd is an eager letter-writer. Maybe she could learn Polish through the mail. :001_smile: