Menu

What are some good US geography resources?

HappyGrace

This would be for 3rd grade and under. I want to briefly cover some of the major physical and other features such as Grand Canyon, Rocky Mountains, Great Lakes, etc.-I plan to spend about 20min per wk on this for a general overview to go along with our history studies. Is there any curriculum or other resources for this? Thanks!

:bigear: Looking forward to hearing responses.

I am planning on doing a US Geography unit over the summer. I don't know what all I will use, but I think I'll use Wish You Were Here: Emily's Guide to the 50 States as well as a Scholastic 50 State workbook that has word searches and other little activities.

This, from Evan-Moor, is for 3rd-6th, so might be advanced depending on your kid. It says North America, but it covers a lot of US stuff.

There is also this, on the DedicatedTeacher.com e-book site, which is kind of public schooly, but has some useful worksheets and puzzles.

Our favorite though is the stuff from Geography Matters, like Cantering the Country.

The small Map Skills for Today booklets available through Rainbow Resource are good. You might even go up a grade level or two to get more of what you want. I like McGraw Hill's Complete Book of Maps and Geography, but it does not have maps specific to the topics you mentioned. It can be used over multiple years and/or with multiple children, as it has a ton of work pages.