Menu

Vocabulary

Hi,

I did a search of old posts on this topic and gleaned a lot of information, but was hoping that I could share our situation and ask for some seasoned advice.

We did Prima Latina and Latina Christiana when my girls (now ages 13 and 11) were much younger. They HATED it...I LOVED it!. My older daughter is now in her second year of French and is doing well. Other language work is done in Vocabulary From Classical Roots (VFCR) (13 yo) and Vocabulary Cartoons (both). We read quite a bit also and often stop at the end of chapters to look up words.

With all that in mind...here's my question....

Will continuing with VFCR and lots of reading be complete enough to expand our vocabulary without adding latin back in? I agree with a different poster who said that some of the words in VFCR are rarely used in reading/life, but the word roots are still covered.

Any thoughts?

Blessings,

Julie in MO

Will continuing with VFCR and lots of reading be complete enough to expand our vocabulary without adding latin back in?

I would think so, esp. if they get into the habit of looking up words in the dictionary as they are reading, if they really get stuck on a word's meaning. Maybe even writing the word, definition, and root down on a piece of paper in their English notebook, just to cement it in their minds.