What's with the ads?

Photo

Opinions on Potters School vs. Apologia online courses?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 bkpan

bkpan

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 10:05 AM

I am planning on having my 7th ds take his General science class online to give him some outside structure and accountability. I expect I will do this often for him and my other dc in other subject areas as well. So, can anyone recommend either the Potters school science courses or the Apologia courses? Or are there others I should be considering?

Thank you for your help!

Kim

#2 rockala

rockala

Hive Mind Level 4 Worker: Builder Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 292 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 09:51 AM

Have you considered Greg Landry online course? He offers one for 6-9th grade and I haven't done one, but have listened in on his free courses

www.homsechoolscienceacademy.com

#3 Grace is Sufficient

Grace is Sufficient

Hive Mind Royal Larvae

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 626 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 07:20 PM

It is a very high level, challenging course, as it ought to be. The teacher is a nurse who has added extra material in and my son has enjoyed the class.

I doubt you'll get much feedback on the courses taught by Apologia as that is brand new, I think.

HTH

#4 CAMom

CAMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 10:29 PM

I can say that my son has taken biology and is currently taking chemistry through TPS. We have been very happy with the classes. I would highly recommend them.

He is taking both anatomy and physiology and physics with TPS next school year.

#5 alegnab

alegnab

Hive Mind Level 3 Worker: Honeymaking Bee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 04:46 PM

He is taking both anatomy and physiology and physics with TPS next school year.

Anatomy & Physiology is an extremely difficult class. The teacher writes her own tests, and they're much, much, much harder than the Apologia ones. My A student in Biology and Chemistry is struggling in the A&P class (although he likes the teacher and the class). I'm glad ds is doing the labs, which were optional, because they have really helped bring his overall grade up.

Apologia Academy is new for next year. But, the two Apologia Academy science teachers for next year are current TPS teachers. Dc#1 has had both teachers. Some of the TPS teachers for next year have been teaching Apologia for years. I think TPS and AA science classes will be virtually the same.

#6 CAMom

CAMom

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2082 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 05:13 PM

Anatomy & Physiology is an extremely difficult class. The teacher writes her own tests, and they're much, much, much harder than the Apologia ones. My A student in Biology and Chemistry is struggling in the A&P class (although he likes the teacher and the class). I'm glad ds is doing the labs, which were optional, because they have really helped bring his overall grade up.

Thank for the heads up and A & P. We spoke with the teacher last week and she warned us that the class is very advanced. We talked to her about my son being a science major (he's deciding between biological sciences or physics) and the fact that he'd be taking physics concurrently. She was very encouraging and said as long as he puts in the time, she thinks he'll do great.

I will definitely pass on the warning to him, though. Hopefully it will encourage him to be careful with his time management and study habits from the beginning!

What's with the ads?