Menu

BJU PreCalculus at Co-op??

I have read several bad reviews of BJU Pre-Calculus. The complaints seem to be the unclear explantions. My question is, how does the content of the text stack up to other programs? Is it rigorous enough? Does it follow nationwide math standards? Would the text be useable with a teacher--or even the DVD's plus a teacher?

Here are my choices so far:

Chalkdust Pre Calc(great, but no "live" teacher)

Saxon (because the other texts worked well)

Potter's School (But it is a 2 year course)

BJU ( at our local co-op)

I am so struggling with this!

Any insight is much welcomed!

Thanks!

I was planning on my oldest doing BJU pre-cal next year with the lectures. Can you tell me where you read the reviews, so I can get a clearer idea of the problem?

We're using BJU right now for Alg. 2 after ditching Foerster Alg. and Trig. The scope and sequence is right there with the Foerster syllabus for alg. 2, which is as rigorous as I've seen. I was basing my impression of BJU next year on the book I've seen this year. I saw the Thinkwell Pre-Cal and it was mostly review of stuff we've done already.

I've not used the DVD class with BJU. I only saw one lecture sample from the Alg. 2 class and it seemed clear enough. I found out with Foerster, though, that just because one year is good, the next year doesn't necessarily follow.

I was planning on my oldest doing BJU pre-cal next year with the lectures. Can you tell me where you read the reviews, so I can get a clearer idea of the problem?

We're using BJU right now for Alg. 2 after ditching Foerster Alg. and Trig. The scope and sequence is right there with the Foerster syllabus for alg. 2, which is as rigorous as I've seen. I was basing my impression of BJU next year on the book I've seen this year. I saw the Thinkwell Pre-Cal and it was mostly review of stuff we've done already.

I've not used the DVD class with BJU. I only saw one lecture sample from the Alg. 2 class and it seemed clear enough. I found out with Foerster, though, that just because one year is good, the next year doesn't necessarily follow.

Well, there haven't been a ton of reviews, and it seems hardly anyone here uses it for upper level math. The few comments I have read mention the text having unclear explanations and being very hard to implement without a teacher. What I am wondering is: What if you do have a teacher either in person or in the form of the DVD's? Then, is the program good..i.e..rigorous, covering all the same topics as any public school math text would cover. Also, if someone has used the DVD option, I am wondering how it went.

Here are my choices so far:

Chalkdust Pre Calc(great, but no "live" teacher)

Saxon (because the other texts worked well)

Potter's School (But it is a 2 year course)

BJU ( at our local co-op)

Can't help you with the BJU text -- unfortunately, I don't know of local co-ops that offer precalc, so our options are CD and Potter's School, to which I had the same objections as you. The other possibility for us is Scholars Online; you may want to check it out also.