Menu

SAT or ACT

We've just found out dd needs to take the SAT or the ACT this spring as a 10th grader to qualify for dual enrollment courses next fall at the area university. Which one do you recommend in this case (SAT or ACT)? Dd will be working fiendishly on making further progress in her math books (behind schedule because of what "life" has held for us these past two years). Will her ultimate admission into college in a couple of years be negatively affected by math scores she may earn right now? (Certainly, we expect by the time she takes the SAT/ACT or junior/senior years her math scores will be greatly improved).

I need to plan for one of these tests this spring and would greatly appreciate help in deciding which one. (Incidentally, dd took the ACT as a 7th grader through the Duke TIP program).

If you think she'd do about the same on either test, then I'd recommend the ACT. For that, the essay part is optional, so that would shorten the test time if the place requiring the test doesn't need the essay part.

Also, when she reports scores to colleges in a year or two, the ACT allows her to selectively report her scores. She can choose from which test dates she wants the scores reported.

Right now, when you have SAT scores reported, the College Board sends all scores from tests taken in 9th grade and up. They are advertising that they are starting a score choice program next year, but if you read the fine print, colleges can opt-out of that and still elect to receive the scores from all the tests a student has taken.

HTH,

Brenda

My older kids tell me that most colleges ask for the SAT and Minnesota colleges ask for the ACT. I would take area college requirements into consideration, since spending time improving her scores on the correct test would be valuable to me.

Julie

I've heard that schools towards the two coasts tend to ask for the SAT more, while middle of the country schools want the ACT.

I've heard that schools towards the two coasts tend to ask for the SAT more, while middle of the country schools want the ACT.

This used to be the case, but now most schools across the country will take either test. We live on the East Coast and all the schools ds looked at will take either test. It's best to confirm that, though, by calling or checking the website of an specific school your child might be interested in attending.

HTH,

Brenda

We've just found out dd needs to take the SAT or the ACT this spring as a 10th grader to qualify for dual enrollment courses next fall at the area university. Which one do you recommend in this case (SAT or ACT)? Dd will be working fiendishly on making further progress in her math books (behind schedule because of what "life" has held for us these past two years). Will her ultimate admission into college in a couple of years be negatively affected by math scores she may earn right now? (Certainly, we expect by the time she takes the SAT/ACT or junior/senior years her math scores will be greatly improved).

I need to plan for one of these tests this spring and would greatly appreciate help in deciding which one. (Incidentally, dd took the ACT as a 7th grader through the Duke TIP program).

Thanks, everybody! We're going with the ACT. She took it in 7th grade, we can keep the score to ourself if we choose to do so, and for right now (while she's working to beef her math skills up to where we want them to be) the multiple choice option only for the math portion *sounds* better). :-)

Thanks for all your help!

Sharon

and for right now (while she's working to beef her math skills up to where we want them to be) the multiple choice option only for the math portion *sounds* better). :-)

I'm putting together an SAT-math prep class, and a big part of what I'll be emphasizing is test-taking strategies. For example, on multiple-choice questions, it's often easier and quicker to check the possible answers than it is to solve the problem and then find the correct answer among the choices.

I've been reading up on the SAT, but I need to look into the peculiarities of the ACT as well. I know that on the SAT, the answers are always in order from smallest to largest, which is helpful when eliminating wrong answers. I don't know about the ACT, though.