Menu

I HATE my new computer - help me translate what I need changed into computer geek

BMC

Not only did DH buy a new computer, it needed all new software (of course :rolleyes:), monitor, keyboard etc etc etc The amount he spent will get to be about three times what I budgeted (and I budgeted more than he told me he would need) by the time he is finished. The same thing happened last time - but I thought I had covered all the bases when I asked how much he'd need.... but , NO, evidently he meant only the computer. Hey the monitor, the keyboard and the software is not "the computer". I feel like just boxing it all back up and telling him to return it. (And he wants to buy the college computer for DS now rather than later.)

None of the homeschooling software will work on the new computer. There are either no upgrades available or I simply don't use them enough to spend the money to upgrade them, but I would have liked them still available. DH says that there are better tracking programs available now, but this is probably the last year I will homeschool - so what's the point?

He finally installed the software I bought at the beginning of the school year, and I think it works, but I haven't been able to get onto the computer long enough to actually try them. And when I do have the time, I can only work for a few minutes without developing a roaring headache. He's still playing with it and planning on what he wants to add to it (more USB ports, an additional hard-drive, more software).

The new (wireless) keyboard has smaller keys than I am used to so I am constantly making mistakes, there is no indicator when the "Caps Lock" is on (or the "Num Lock").It doesn't tilt ("Just put something under it!") and it has less tactile feedback on the key strike.

But the worst part is the %&^%$$&^* monitor. I HATE HATE HATE HATE the monitor. It is like reading teeney tiny letters the color of wood smoke on a white background. YUCK. I am going blind faster trying to work on it. I asked him to do something about it and he "changed the font" but I can't tell a difference. He has the "old" computer desktop running as a virtual machine (so the old software can run), and isn't pleased whenever he sees me working on it. I have tried to explain that I can't comfortably read the new whatever it is called (theme?) and I can read the old one, just. I guess I should have asked if this new machine supports add-ons for the legally blind - I'm sure I'll be needing it sooner rather than later :(

I'm done complaining, but I need need some things translated into "computer geek" please.

1. I need more contrast between the print and the background. Everything it too pale.

2. I need larger type. I can't comfortably read it with or without my glasses - not with the far lenses or the close lenses - or even the mid-range lenses.

3. The larger monitor is absolutely useless, I agreed to a larger monitor so I could read it more easily not less easily. Stretching out websites or documents doesn't help in the least.

I tried to show DH the difference by putting the "old desktop" on the virtual machine next to the new one, but for someone who is so sensitive about HIS "color deficient" vision, he can't seen to grasp that the new equipment isn't compatible or support MY vision.

Thanks, I need to take some Tylenol for my headache, but will check back later for responses.

Did I mention, he bought a new TV too - and I can't figure out how to make anything work? :rolleyes:

1. I need more contrast between the print and the background. Everything it too pale.

This is often easily done via the contrast setting on your monitor.

2. I need larger type. I can't comfortably read it with or without my glasses - not with the far lenses or the close lenses - or even the mid-range lenses.

Adjust the screen resolution of the monitor to a lower number

3. The larger monitor is absolutely useless, I agreed to a larger monitor so I could read it more easily not less easily. Stretching out websites or documents doesn't help in the least.

If you change the resolution, this should help as the type will be bigger. The advantage to bigger monitors is more screen area, so that you can, for example, resize the browser window (or any window) what is normal size for you (as opposed to simply stretching it to spread all the way across), and leave some desktop space for, say, AIM windows.

If it is new I am guessing you have Vista, thus the compatibility issues. We are getting ready to build new computers here too and I am still debating the XP v. Vista thing as I have some older programs I cannot live without that I know won't work under Vista. Software companies are slowly updating to address this but it always takes tiem when a new OS comes out for the programs to catch up :(

My dh gave me his computer when he upgraded. I couldn't stand the new flat monitor (one of the wider ones, I think?). I made him hook up my old monitor (which is *huge*). :) Dh is a computer geek and tried all kinds of adjustments on the new monitor for me, but no matter what he tried I got motion sickness from it. :mad:

Oh, and he lost my Christmas list of addresses when he transferred the data over. :(

Honestly, I would have him give me back the old computer and have him use the new one (or return it).

I don't know which word processing program you are using, but you should be able to change the font, font size and color. All that stuff should be in the toolbar. You can change the font size, for example, from 10 point type to 14 point type. You can change the font color from woodsmoke to black, or any other color.

You can experiment by clicking on everything in the toolbar and playing around with it until you have it figured out.

For internet usage, if the type is too small, click on "view" in the toolbar and increase the text size.

http://www.zolved.com/synapse/view_content/26125 This may help - its about Vista text size changes.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/windows/en-us/search.aspx?=&qu=vista+font+color

I run Windows XP & Firefox -- not sure about Vista, but the text size capability must be there, maybe not in "view" but in "tools" or another dropdown menu on your toolbar.

Here's some information on how to run older programs on Vista by using the Program Compatibility Wizard (the article tells you exactly what to do).

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/help/bf416877-c83f-4476-a3da-8ec98dcf5f101033.mspx