Menu

Latin Advice Please

mumto3girls

I really need to talk this through as I plan our upcoming year. 

DD9 is going into 4th grade - no previous Latin. I was actually contemplating using Easy Grammar 3 for her this year (since I have that already) to give her a basis in grammar before starting Latin in 5th grade. Is that a good idea or should begin with one of the following programs.

DD11 going into grade 6 - completed Prima Latina in 6mths in grade 4 (which her and I both loved), then we began Latina Christiana this year and found it quite difficult, so switched to GSWL, which went well. We didn't finish it however. Not sure what to do for her this next year.

DD13 - 8th grade. She completed GSWL in grade 5, Visual Latin 1 in grade 6 and attempted Visual Latin 2 this past year. She didn't enjoy Latin, but was required to finish VL1, so didn't retain a whole lot. I told her that once she finished her year of VL1, if she no longer wanted to do Latin, that was fine. However, she decided she wanted to continue so we proceeded with VL2 (it has not been completed though). After having a few weeks off and considering that we are studying Ancient history next year, DD13 approached me to say that she would like to do Latin as it may help with our history studies next year. But she does not want a fully rigid program or for it to be mandatory. This child is very linguistic and wants to go on to study languages and literature after completing grade 12, so I believe that Latin will be a real asset to her. Since I told her a year ago that it is up to her if she studies Latin (after she had dabbled with it for 2yrs), I want to find a way for her to do so without getting bogged down and hating Latin like she has in the past.

I have wondered how teaching Latin to all 3 at the same time might work. I know I could do EFTRU altogether, but wonder if there is some other way of doing this. I have 5 weeks until we begin the new year and had planned on working through Henle myself, to give me a heads up on the language. I know I have not been the best teacher for Latin and not used the curricula correctly thus far. But I really want to rectify this and make it meaningful for my girls. I know I don't need to buy another program, but Lively Book of Latin looks like it could be fun for my younger two to work through, but I don't want to bog them down any more in their school day.

If it's not best to do altogether, what is the best possible path for each of my girls individually? (Oldest just wants to read Latin, not bother with worksheets and busyness).

I own the following Latin curriculum:

English from the Roots Up

GSWL

Prima Latina

Latina Christiana

Visual Latin 1

Visual Latin 2

Henle Latin First Year

Lingua Latina

I've never done any of your list so take this with a grain of salt... Is it possible to redo VL 1 with your oldest and fold in 11yo? Or even have oldest teach 11yo?

I'd probably try and pick an entry-level middle school course and have both work through it. First Form Latin could be good for both the oldest too. Latin Alive is another option.

You could likely do Henle, but take it slower.

For the younger, Latin for Children or Prima Latina if you'be still got it. Or just wait.

For your DD 9, Prima Latina sounds good. You have it, you liked teaching it, and it will teach English grammar as well as gently introducing Church Latin.

For DD 11, I would consider either using Latin Christiana, restarting from the beginning, or using Visual Latin 1, planning to go as slowly as she needs.

For DD 13, since you have Visual Latin 2, I would suggest she restart it. I suspect she is past the place in learning Latin where she can progress further without committing to regular study. Maybe you could brainstorm with her ways to help her study Latin 4 or 5 days a week. Would she enjoy teaching one or both of her younger sisters? Could she make up and run games for them to help memorize the material? Would she like using something like quizlet for online drill or making her own review posters?

A third, more expensive option would be to outsource Latin for DD 13. Classical Academic Press's Schole Academy Latin 1 class would be an option, or Lukeion Latin 1. 

• Like 1