Menu

Marrying Down?

goldberry

I agree with you; this is incredibly insulting. But focusing on money is par for the course in our society, I guess.

Wow, this article astounded and insulted me. I am married to an amazing, AMAZING man who is hardworking and smart, but not "ambitious" or particularly go-get-em in the education or career world. In our early marriage I made more money than he did. He was raised in a family that didn't teach financial or life planning.

When we were young and first married, this used to bother me, since I was raised in traditional household with a dominant father figure and a SAHM. Fortunately, I was able to understand the zillion other crazy valuable qualities that my DH has that make him the perfect husband and an incredible father to our daughter. I look up to him and admire him and have learned from him in so many ways.

This article is so insulting, that the idea of less education and less career success equals "marrying down". UGH.

And I say this as a person who does believe that men and women are often better suited for different roles, and who has a fairly traditional sort of "modified headship" relationship. But this article is totally abusing that concept and twisting it into something demeaning and insulting.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2017/11/16/suzanne-venker-my-message-for-women-marrying-down-is-nothing-to-celebrate.html My message for women -- 'Marrying down' is nothing to celebrate