#1 3 ladybugs

3 ladybugs

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1772 posts

Posted 27 October 2017 - 05:42 PM

Meaning handwriting. 

With my 9 year old, I used several programs. HWOT taught him manuscript. However I didn't like the cursive so I went to ZB. I have a 4 year old that is close to needing something. I think in the next 6 months or so. Should I go directly to ZB or should I do HWOT again and jump back? Should I do something else? I am not opposed to doing cursive first either. I just want to use ZB style of cursive as it is closest to what I believe my boys need. I did a TON of research and settled on that for a reason. 

I guess my big question is, did you like ZB for first starting writing?

#2 fralala

fralala

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 06:47 AM

My k-teacher sister is of the opinion that if you're going to begin handwriting at age 4 or 5, almost all kids benefit from the HWOT approach. Now, since you've already done HWOT once, maybe you would do just fine with Z-B (or anything!) since you've got those tricks up your sleeves.

#3 HomeAgain

HomeAgain

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3825 posts

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

I don't like ZB at all.  I prefer to teach letters in single strokes, not having the child remember where to place the stick or the ball.  I feel it leads more to letter reversal and confusion  And I prefer teaching something that segues into the next step for writing, cursive.  We chose D'nealian because of those two issues.  I used Montessori-style methods to teach initial letters:

-tracing a tactile letter while saying the sound.  Ours had raised arrows that were smooth if the child followed it in the right direction, a little pokey if not.

-using resistance to slow down the hand: chalk on a chalkboard and a spindle in sand

-moving to a stencil guide (we used School Rite products)

-finally, basic copywork in its own step by step way

I have yet to find a packaged curriculum that covers material in the same order, and has the things I want: grouping letters by strokes, isn't tied to reading lessons, and open ended in duration of each step.