Menu

Surprise Pell eligibility

Pegasus

I thought we were well outside the income limits for Pell eligibility. In fact, the only reason we've filled out FAFSA the last 3 years for our older DD is for the state lottery scholarship (merit based but requires the FAFSA).  

I just filled out the FAFSA for next year, the first in which we will have 2 in college.  Stunned to see that younger DD may be eligible for a small amount of Pell. I plan to scrutinize the FAFSA carefully line by line once it processes to be sure everything is accurate.  I imported data from the IRS so couldn't view all the entries before I submitted.

Still thinking something is wrong.

DS had the opposite situation after filling out the FAFSa this past week. The Pell Grant he qualified for was approx. half of what he was expecting based on the FAFSA 4Caster website. According to the chart posted above, again, it seems much lower than it should. Has anyone else had this happen? I'm so concerned there's a mistake somewhere, but I don't know what it would be. I must say that I don't really like how, once you use the IRS Data Retrieval tool, you can't see what the numbers are. I guess we'll have to go back and look at our tax return.

That would be great! 

Upon further research, I think our eligibility will disappear once I make corrections to the FAFSA we just submitted.  I have provided a rough guess on one of our "investments" because it is a complicated situation (real estate passed down through generations and jointly owned by several people . . .in the middle of nowhere with no clear comparable sales to estimate value, not residential and not farmed).  It never really mattered since we weren't eligible for aid. 

Now, though, I absolutely do not want to accept aid we are not eligible for so will need to determine and add in a value that would be defensible and accurate. Fun times.

it seems much lower than it should. Has anyone else had this happen? 

Be sure parent income and assets are listed for the parents and not for the student. This is a common error and would greatly effect the EFC/Pell grant amounts.  Be sure retirement accounts are not included in the investment total.  Primary residence value is also not included.

• Like 1