Menu

Sample Charlotte Mason schedule?

Hi everyone- My son is going into fourth grade.  I started homeschooling during the middle of last year.  I want to follow the well trained mind schedule but I'm finding some of what we love most about homeschooling is the freedom to be outside and follow our interests more often.  Does anyone have what they think is a rigorous academic schedule that also allows free afternoons (ish?).  I have read some of Charlotte Mason's books and enjoyed them but I'm wondering if anyone knows her recommendation for outside time for older children.  My son could be outside all day every day.  

Thanks!!!

Emily

I think it is absolutely possible to introduce classical and Charlotte Mason style teachings with tons of outside time. Our cores (phonics, grammar, spelling, writing, math) do not take up much time. We do those in the morning. FLL and WWE lessons are quick and painless. I would say our longest subject is history. Sometimes we do our readings during breakfast or before bed depending upon our day. Science and nature studies can and should be done in the outdoors if kids love it. Rabbit trails and tangents are the best and if you are a crafty mama you can make anything a learning experience and tie in experiences with what you are studying. Spelling can be done outside. Take some sidewalk chalk out and do lessons on the sidewalk or spell words with sticks (can squeeze in a geometry lesson that way too ;) )

Hi everyone- My son is going into fourth grade.  I started homeschooling during the middle of last year.  I want to follow the well trained mind schedule but I'm finding some of what we love most about homeschooling is the freedom to be outside and follow our interests more often.  Does anyone have what they think is a rigorous academic schedule that also allows free afternoons (ish?).  I have read some of Charlotte Mason's books and enjoyed them but I'm wondering if anyone knows her recommendation for outside time for older children.  My son could be outside all day every day.  

Thanks!!!

Emily

Have you listened to the Delectable Education podcasts?  It's basically three homeschool mothers geeking out on Charlotte Mason :)  They definitely know their stuff!!  The Nature Study episode would address your question about outdoor time.  Or just listen to them all.  They're SO helpful.

• Like 1