Menu

Thoughts on Cottage Press Primers

MyLife

So, I thought I had my oldest son's language arts all planned out for next year. Rod and Staff English and Spelling, WWE 2, VP Literature and then....I fell down a rabbit hole. I was reading another thread on Writing & Rhetoric vs Cottage Press. I had never heard of Cottage Press. I checked it out, and it looks absolutely wonderful. Please tell me why I need it...or don't need it. If you did use the primers, did you add anything in?

• Like 1

My oldest did both primer series after ctge 1 and 2 and elfttc (orally). [He tried other things here and​ there, these are what ended up sticking with] Afterward, He moved into cle la 3 for a few months, and once that was established, writing Tales as well.

My second son is doing the primers after nothing more than phonics, and is doing elfttc orally alongside. He has writing for content subjects that his brother didn't have until right at the end of his cp primers time.

We did, and do, skip the nature studies in CP because we do tonnes of it already. I also used What Do You See? ..A Kindle book... For picture study instead of what cp has.

The reading for CP is minimal, I'd keep any readers and read alouds you want.

Cp primers are going to be a lot less rigorous than what you have planned. It turned out perfect for my oldest and it's going great for my other son. I consider the grammar in CP exposure only.

Following because I nearly posted something very similar today.  I was going to use FLL 2 and maybe a spelling program for my daughter (2nd grade next year), along with lots of reading together, but I was looking at the CP primers and they look lovely.  But I'm not sure I can justify the expense...

• Like 1

Okbud, do you think CLE LA is rigorous? Did your son transition ok into CLE? I feel like our LA this year is rigorous, and I just don't want my kiddos to burn out in elementary school. BUT, I also do not want to reach 5th grade and think "oops."

Okbud, do you think CLE LA is rigorous? Did your son transition ok into CLE? I feel like our LA this year is rigorous, and I just don't want my kiddos to burn out in elementary school. BUT, I also do not want to reach 5th grade and think "oops."

Yes cle is thorough.

I'm VERY glad I didn't start cle before he turned 9. I wrung my hands and fretted so much over that progression because he is precocious in other ways and at the time it felt like I wasn't pushing enough in "English." But it didn't just work out, it worked out beautifully.

At about 9.5 years old, he was just *all of a sudden* ready to write about 100% more than he had been just a month, a week even, before.

My second son is just right down the middle academically and I have no doubt being gentle about la in early elementary is the right call for him too.

I'm not saying CP is _the_ thing for everyone. But for both my boys it was/is just the thing.

If I had a kid that age who liked to write already, I would do write from history instead of cp primers. It's similarly gentle grammar-wise but has more writing.

Yes cle is thorough.

I'm VERY glad I didn't start cle before he turned 9. I wrung my hands and fretted so much over that progression because he is precocious in other ways and at the time it felt like I wasn't pushing enough in "English." But it didn't just work out, it worked out beautifully.

At about 9.5 years old, he was just *all of a sudden* ready to write about 100% more than he had been just a month, a week even, before.

My second son is just right down the middle academically and I have no doubt being gentle about la in early elementary is the right call for him too.

I'm not saying CP is _the_ thing for everyone. But for both my boys it was/is just the thing.

If I had a kid that age who liked to write already, I would do write from history instead of cp primers. It's similarly gentle grammar-wise but has more writing.

Okbud, that sounds a lot like my boys. Another question, how long did the lessons take?

Okbud, that sounds a lot like my boys. Another question, how long did the lessons take?

In CP primers?

It varies quite a bit. Between ten minutes (for a day where they read and illustrate a point or Bible passage) to 35 or 40 minutes on days where they read, narrate, do copywork and a small grammar exercise.

Note! though, that I have no idea if it's actually scheduled like that. It may be, but possibly not because I have always had them do a two page spread each day and whatever was on the wooden pages is what they did 😊

No prob, Bob. I wanted to add that the workboos themselves are nice. The paper is thicker and it stays attached to the spine. I hate workbooks that fall apart! It's pleasant to look at iykwim. There's plenty of drawing and writing space.

The only thing I would change if I had my druthers (besides nixing the nature and artist study parts) is I'd put three line writing lines (with dots for the midline) for the primer 1 series. My kids both still needed the lines for their neatest writing when they are/were 7, when I start CP primer 1.

Okbud, hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question - what did you think of the spelling in Cottage Press?  Did you supplement with something else?  TIA!

If I were of a mind that my child needed spelling, I would definitely FOR SURE use something else, or something in addition to CP.

Dictation more conducive to spelling retention can be had in other places (SCM's spelling Wisdom or the free Wheelers books, for example). And if I wanted rule-based spelling, this isn't it at all.

I didn't/don't  concentrate on spelling at the ages I use the primer series, though.

Ellie~ http://cottagepress.net/

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Classical+Language+Arts+Primers+from+Cottage+Press/642

If I were of a mind that my child needed spelling, I would definitely FOR SURE use something else, or something in addition to CP.

Dictation more conducive to spelling retention can be had in other places (SCM's spelling Wisdom or the free Wheelers books, for example). And if I wanted rule-based spelling, this isn't it at all.

I didn't/don't  concentrate on spelling at the ages I use the primer series, though.

Ellie~ http://cottagepress.net/

http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=English%2FWriting/7&category=Classical+Language+Arts+Primers+from+Cottage+Press/642

Thank you.  She really does not need a rigorous spelling program right now.  Basically, I take a word from her copywork, discuss rules, and have her write a few similar words.  She is reading and spelling well for her age.

That being said....  Sigh, the Cottage Press Primers look SO lovely.  But I'm having a hard time justifying the expense.  I could continue the spelling we're doing, (and I think add in word study from Words Their Way, which I have from my teaching days), add in FLL for $10, and use resources I already have for nature study.  But.... the Primers look so lovely!!  lol

• Like 1

Do you need sixty bucks (three primers and teachers help book, minus 10$ for fll) more, or do you need to do CP more?

If you go the other way and end up switching to cp afterall, you'd only be out ten bucks...

I love cp but the rubber does hit the road !

Edited by OKBud

Do you need sixty bucks (three primers and teachers help book, minus 10$ for fll) more, or do you need to do CP more?

If you go the other way and end up switching to cp afterall, you'd only be out ten bucks...

I love cp but the rubber does hit the road !

I just keep coming back to CP.  Yes, I could piece LA together with other resources and save a few bucks but I really love the feel of this program. I also love the short lessons (DD picks things up quickly but does not have much stamina for work and will melt down if things get too hard or boring. lol)  I've been reading tons of reviews and I think this is the gentle but thorough all inclusive program that will work for her.  Thank you so much for your advice!

I just keep coming back to CP.  Yes, I could piece LA together with other resources and save a few bucks but I really love the feel of this program. I also love the short lessons (DD picks things up quickly but does not have much stamina for work and will melt down if things get too hard or boring. lol)  I've been reading tons of reviews and I think this is the gentle but thorough all inclusive program that will work for her.  Thank you so much for your advice!

:)

I hope you like it! Like I keep saying it was just the thing for my two.

• 2 weeks later...

Cp primers are going to be a lot less rigorous than what you have planned. It turned out perfect for my oldest and it's going great for my other son. I consider the grammar in CP exposure only.

Okbud, I need your help on placement. My son will be registered as a 2nd grader next school year. I know CP recommends Primer 1 for 2nd graders, BUT my son completed WWE 1 and Shurley 1 this year and Primer 2 seems like a better fit academically. What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm pulling my hair out over spelling, but I guess I can start another thread on that.

Okbud, I need your help on placement. My son will be registered as a 2nd grader next school year. I know CP recommends Primer 1 for 2nd graders, BUT my son completed WWE 1 and Shurley 1 this year and Primer 2 seems like a better fit academically. What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm pulling my hair out over spelling, but I guess I can start another thread on that.

The problem is the length of the passages. Standby I'll see if I can upload some pictures.

We have loved CP Primers here.  I think for a young child, the spelling and grammar is enough.  The copy work passages are delightful.  The nature and picture study break up the week nicely.  If you want/need to supplement spelling, I would (and do here).  Grammar I wouldn't worry about too much at that age.

CP is gentle, thorough, and really a delight to do every day.  My daughter says composition (as I refer to it) is her favorite subject.  The lessons are short but cover quite a bit. 

The upper levels of CP look great, too, and I can't wait until we get to dive into Fable and Song (in the fall!  Yay!). 

• Like 1

We have loved CP Primers here. I think for a young child, the spelling and grammar is enough. The copy work passages are delightful. The nature and picture study break up the week nicely. If you want/need to supplement spelling, I would (and do here). Grammar I wouldn't worry about too much at that age.

CP is gentle, thorough, and really a delight to do every day. My daughter says composition (as I refer to it) is her favorite subject. The lessons are short but cover quite a bit.

The upper levels of CP look great, too, and I can't wait until we get to dive into Fable and Song (in the fall! Yay!).

I am concerned that Primer 1 is a step back from Shurley 1 in regards to grammar. Am I over analyzing? I want something a little more gentle than Shurley but I don't want him to forget what he has learned in Shurley because we worked hard on that book. So, I was thinking Primer 2 would be a good because it teaches adverbs, adjectives, etc. On the other hand I was concerned that the copywork in Primer 2 would be too much. He can currently copy 2 or 3 sentences before complaining. Edited by MyLife

Honestly, I wouldn't get worked up about spelling for a little person who is just seven-ish. :-)

As in, don't teach spelling or any simple spelling book would work? I was originally looking at continuing with Abeka 2 spelling, but the lists have 25 words. That seems like a long list, but maybe not? I don't know.

I am concerned that Primer 1 is a step back from Shurley 1 in regards to grammar. Am I over analyzing? I want something a little more gentle than Shurley but I don't want him to forget what he has learned in Shurley because we worked hard on that book. So, I was thinking Primer 2 would be a good because it teaches adverbs, adjectives, etc. On the other hand I was concerned that the copywork in Primer 2 would be too much. He can currently copy 2 or 3 sentences before complaining.

I used FLL1 and FLL2 with my daughter before we hit the Primer series.  I was concerned about her losing what she had learned, not because she needs the grammar now but because, well, we did all that work...!  Ha.  I really shouldn't have worried.  CP Primer reviews things very nicely and I decided to use Simply Grammar, but only Part 1, here and there because it feels a lot like CP (gentle), but serves to further review what we did in FLL.

If I'm completely honest, however, SImply Grammar is only really making ME feel better.  Don't get me wrong - it's effective, short, my daughter likes it and does it in five minutes twice a week or so - but it isn't necessary.  The upper levels of CP are going to cover all the grammar she needs, including teaching her how to diagram. 

If you decide to switch to CP, don't worry about grammar unless it really bothers you.  Then add a little something to review so you stay sane and happy.  As far as spelling, don't worry about that unless your child is reading fluently.  If you want more spelling now, I'd pick something like Simply Spelling - again, a program that feels a lot like CP and will be a quick, painless supplement to what you do in the Primers.  I may use Simply Spelling with my next child.  This current girl had already started Apples and Pears when I decided to use CP and I thought it would be more beneficial to leave her in the program she was in.  Apples and Pears is pretty quick and painless, though, too.

I used FLL1 and FLL2 with my daughter before we hit the Primer series. I was concerned about her losing what she had learned, not because she needs the grammar now but because, well, we did all that work...! Ha. I really shouldn't have worried. CP Primer reviews things very nicely and I decided to use Simply Grammar, but only Part 1, here and there because it feels a lot like CP (gentle), but serves to further review what we did in FLL.

If I'm completely honest, however, SImply Grammar is only really making ME feel better. Don't get me wrong - it's effective, short, my daughter likes it and does it in five minutes twice a week or so - but it isn't necessary. The upper levels of CP are going to cover all the grammar she needs, including teaching her how to diagram.

If you decide to switch to CP, don't worry about grammar unless it really bothers you. Then add a little something to review so you stay sane and happy. As far as spelling, don't worry about that unless your child is reading fluently. If you want more spelling now, I'd pick something like Simply Spelling - again, a program that feels a lot like CP and will be a quick, painless supplement to what you do in the Primers. I may use Simply Spelling with my next child. This current girl had already started Apples and Pears when I decided to use CP and I thought it would be more beneficial to leave her in the program she was in. Apples and Pears is pretty quick and painless, though, too.

I like the looks of Simply Grammar. It is out of print, but there are used copies on Amazon. It also looks like Simply Spelling is out of print, too, and maybe replaced by Spelling Wisdom?

If I go with Primer 1, I probably wouldn't add spelling because it seems to cover many of the "special" sounds we learned in Abeka. So, I could supplement Primer 1 with a "light" grammar. Besides Simply Grammar, what are some other choices? Easy Grammar?

Poor first born child, always the guinea pig.

OK I can't find our CP 2 primers. I have a toddler whose jam it is to take books and hide them. Fun!

Sorry.

My advice is to get into a groove with CP before deciding to add anything to it or not.

OK I can't find our CP 2 primers. I have a toddler whose jam it is to take books and hide them. Fun!

Sorry.

My advice is to get into a groove with CP before deciding to add anything to it or not.

I tried to like your comment but some reason I can't. So, do you think I should do CP 1 because of the copywork length? Or, should I do CP 2 knowing that we would have to shorten the copywork?

I tried to like your comment but some reason I can't. So, do you think I should do CP 1 because of the copywork length? Or, should I do CP 2 knowing that we would have to shorten the copywork?

I would do 1. The copywork is really the core of these, and the POINT, MyLife, is to not have to fiddle around with it :laugh: No problem taking it slightly easier for three months, but big problem continually re-working a ready-made resource ykwim?

And you should only buy one of them, not the whole series. That way if you go through Autumn, for example, and you see that he could step it up and do more as you go through, you can move to CP primer 2, Winter for the next term.

Honestly with the grammar, I would just discuss casually as you go along. He'll bump up against it in CP, and you can still listen to your Shurley stuff.

Spelling advice ---- if you plan to do spelling primarily, or solely, through dictation, just let CP be enough for now and add to it as you see fit, commiserate with his physical ability to write more. If you plan on using a full blown rule-based (or some other based) program, then go ahead and do it.

I would do 1. The copywork is really the core of these, and the POINT, MyLife, is to not have to fiddle around with it :laugh: No problem taking it slightly easier for three months, but big problem continually re-working a ready-made resource ykwim?

And you should only buy one of them, not the whole series. That way if you go through Autumn, for example, and you see that he could step it up and do more as you go through, you can move to CP primer 2, Winter for the next term.

Honestly with the grammar, I would just discuss casually as you go along. He'll bump up against it in CP, and you can still listen to your Shurley stuff.

Spelling advice ---- if you plan to do spelling primarily, or solely, through dictation, just let CP be enough for now and add to it as you see fit, commiserate with his physical ability to write more. If you plan on using a full blown rule-based (or some other based) program, then go ahead and do it.

Awesome points about not reworking it, and yes, the copywork is the beauty of it. I like the idea of spelling through dictation. So, I will probably just try that.

I will "stew" on things FOREVER. Sometimes, I just need someone to say "do THIS and stop worrying about it."

Thank you!