Menu

Trying to keep school simple- would you add/change anything ?

quietchapel

I am trying to keep things simple, but I'm afraid I'm missing something. I'd appreciate any thoughts/ suggestions. Science never happens.

Together we do Creek Edge Press Recitation, art memorization, time line books, and read Alouds from Sonlight Core D. We honestly don 't get to all of it each day. Everybody does journaling and creative writing most weeks, too. I am really hoping to add in art/ form drawing and some handwork, but we 'll see.

Dd grade 5- R&S math, R&S spelling, handwriting, R&S English, Latin, copywork/ dictation, vocab notebook, SL readers F. She 's also reading about electricity right now.

Ds grade 4- R&S math, R &S spelling, R&S English, handwriting, SL readers 4/5. We're reading through RS4K biology.

Ds grade 2- spelling, handwriting, finishing little angel readers, SL 2 readers, Burgess Bird Book, R&S math

Thank you!!!!

I see...

5th: math, English (grammar, composition, spelling, literature, plus vocab, copywork/dictation), science, Latin

4th: math, English, science

2nd: math, English, science

I'll assume history is from all the Sonlight books, which means you have the four core subjects covered, plus Latin for the big one.

I don't do separate vocab study, especially while studying Latin. Unless they need separate penmanship practice I'd drop handwriting, too. I know, it's such a "little" subject, but those little ones and the extra transitions they bring to a day add up to one big time suck. Perhaps they could give more time for science.  I would probably also drop copywork/dictation for the 5th grader and either write out the R&S English assignments or add a writing book like Wordsmith Apprentice, but I am thinking of my kids and don't know a whit about yours. :001_smile:

Thank you!

My big one struggles with spelling, so the dictation is huge- it helps her so much. They already write out the R&S Enhlish, and they complain the whole time!

Any science suggestions? This is a hard subject for me beyond reading books related to science .