Menu

Loving Brief History of Humankind...

Just thought I'd share my recent love for this course, which some motivated logic kids (and parents) may find fascinating.  It is an interesting, big picture view of Human History.

I am watching the

Harari is the author of Sapiens, which is also highly rated on Audible, although the narrator is not the author.

I know it has been mentioned on these boards a couple of times, but I felt it worthy of another shout out.

• Like 8

I like audiobooks, but I find that for school, we stay more engaged if I read it aloud. That way I can stop and comment, ask questions, make sure she understood a word or concept. And for whatever reason it is a lot easier for her to stop me and ask a question than push pause on the audio playback.  We've tried listening and we've tried me reading, and the latter seems to work better for us.  YMMV, of course!

• Like 2

I like audiobooks, but I find that for school, we stay more engaged if I read it aloud. That way I can stop and comment, ask questions, make sure she understood a word or concept. And for whatever reason it is a lot easier for her to stop me and ask a question than push pause on the audio playback. We've tried listening and we've tried me reading, and the latter seems to work better for us. YMMV, of course!

Please give a ballpark minimum age for this book as read-aloud or audio. I know kids vary, but I think your Shannon must be, developmentally-speaking, similar to my girls based on other things you've mentioned over the years. Curious if my 11-year old could understand/enjoy this?
  • Like 2

Please give a ballpark minimum age for this book as read-aloud or audio. I know kids vary, but I think your Shannon must be, developmentally-speaking, similar to my girls based on other things you've mentioned over the years. Curious if my 11-year old could understand/enjoy this?

We did it during the spring semester of 7th grade. She did the Big History Project, so she had a lot of context before we started reading it. She was 12. 

I wouldn't have wanted to do it any sooner than 7th grade. It would probably be even better understood this year, but it worked so well in the context of Big History that I think it turned out fine to use it when we did. We might revisit it again later in high school, though. It's definitely a high-school-to-adult level book, not a MG book.  If a kid could grasp and be interested in SWB's History of the World or Story of Western Science, it's at a similar level, I'd say.

• Like 2