Menu

New Beast Academy FAQ

kateingr

They are definitely not kidding about ch.1 of 3A being very difficult and challenging. I'm glad that I opted to do SM 3 before starting Beast. It helps us to have a solid foundation to start from when diving into deeper, gotta wrestle with this sort of math. And I am ever so glad that my son reads several grades above level, it makes it so much easier to digest the problems and understand what he is looking at.

I am pretty certain that we will continue to do both SM and BA for our journey. I'm not in a rush to get to algebra which I know will come sooner anyways. We have reaped huge benefits in introducing the topic in SM and letting it marinate in his brain for a couple of months and revisiting with IP/CWP and then passing through again at some point with BA. I can just see the maturity and growth in his approach each time through going deeper and more challenged to think each time.

• Like 3

My youngest will be right on track to have BA2 completely finished about when he might be ready to start it. :-) (He has a fall birthday, so "technically" he wouldn't even be in K until Fall 2017. But if he is like my other boys in terms of his academic readiness, he will be ready to start K level academic work as soon as he turns five, so my guess is he will be doing 2nd grade math by the Fall of 2018. :-). And I'm happy that it looks like we won't outpace the production schedule for DS8 either. We are only part way thru 4A right now, so I think we won't need 5D until Spring or Summer of 2017 and it should already be out!

• Like 1

They are definitely not kidding about ch.1 of 3A being very difficult and challenging. I'm glad that I opted to do SM 3 before starting Beast. It helps us to have a solid foundation to start from when diving into deeper, gotta wrestle with this sort of math. And I am ever so glad that my son reads several grades above level, it makes it so much easier to digest the problems and understand what he is looking at.

Yeah, that was the first chapter of BA we ever did and I remember posting here to ask if BA was going to be too difficult or if this was normal. And my DS is a child who scored "superior" on a test of spatial intelligence! I can honestly say we have done better with every subsequent chapter.  I'm glad we stuck with it.

Totally a side thought...I really wonder whether or not ch.1 of 3A is has a similar effect like the infamous ch.4 in the pre-algebra text. I think it must be if they actually refer to this chapter in the FAQ! I have seen a few people selling BA that say only a few pages are written on in 3A. Makes me wonder if they are giving up because it is so difficult.

• Like 1

We seriously adore this program.  Well, usually.  Today DS was working through the over/under estimate section (creating an estimate range within a given consecutive frame) and he was NOT loving Beast...lol.  

"Mom, can't we just do Singapore?"

"Sure son...let me go pull out Challenging Word Problems and you can show me again how much you love bar models."

"NO, Mom!  No!  We can stick with Beast!"

• Like 4