Menu

2nd Edition RightStart Math vs 1st Edition

LolaT

I don't know if this was discussed when the 2nd editions of Right Start Math (RSM) started coming out but I couldn't find anything doing a search and I missed the boat at the time since I was in the later levels of RSM. 

Now, I'm preparing to start my 3rd child. I have Levels B through E 1st edition. I started my other two in K with Level B. I'm just wondering if there is a big difference with Levels A and B in the 2nd edition. I would like to buy the new editions for child #3 but I just want to make sure that I will still be able to start him on Level B like I did with my other two. 

I don't know anything about the 1st edition, but you can absolutely start with level B in the second edition. The only change I would make is to add more of the games to the schedule, as I don't think they are scheduled enough in the first half of B.

I'm curious why you are thinking of buying the second edition why you already have the first edition, and have used it a few times. I was under the impression they were the same, with just a different lesson layout and a few things rearranged to meet school standards. Is there something else?

I'm curious why you are thinking of buying the second edition why you already have the first edition, and have used it a few times. I was under the impression they were the same, with just a different lesson layout and a few things rearranged to meet school standards. Is there something else?

We participate in a program that allows us the opportunity to get reimbursed for certain curriculum. So in this case, I can get the 2nd ed. simply because I can get the money back for it. Otherwise, I'd probably just use what I already have.  

Looking at the RSM website, it seems that not only is the layout of the teacher textbook easier to follow, but the way the material is taught has been updated as well and not for the purpose of meeting CC standards, but just as an improvement in general. Of course, I don't have the 2nd edition to compare so I don't know how much has really changed. I'm just going on faith that it's going to be an improvement over the first ed. There is a video for each book and sample pages. So I do like the changes you can see there.