Menu

History Timelines For High School?

DD came out of public school at the beginning of 6th grade.  So she never had a solid sweep through history from Ancients-Modern History.  I have been having her keep a timeline during these middle school years and it's been a great tool for her.  Do people generally have their high schoolers continue keeping a timeline, or do you all ditch it after 8th grade?  That is, do you have your kids (or plan to have the kids) start over in 9th keeping a high school timeline with more detail all over again?

Our circumstances sound much the same as yours.

We came to homeschooling late and began in 7th grade.  We allowed my daughter the decision of whether or not to homeschool each year, so we took things on a year by year basis.  I'd describe our homeschooling as WTM inspired; however, I elected to do a three year run through world history.

In 7th grade, my daughter covered Pre-history to about AD500.

In 8th grade, my daughter studied the time period AD500 to about AD1700.

In 9th, she did an at home WTM inspired world history study of the time period from 1700 to 2000.

My daughter's Book of the Centuries was a timeline, but it was kept in a binder along with her writings and artwork.  She kept it in 7th through 9th grades. I had her add ten entries each week. I was not so much concerned that she memorize dates as that she had a general idea of world happenings and when they had occurred relative to each other.

Ninth grade was the last year she did history at home, so it was the final year she kept her Book of the Centuries. 

In 10th, she took an out of the home AP US History class which used Bailey's American Pageant.

In 11th grade, my daughter had an out of the home AP Comparative Gov't and Politics class.

Her interests in high school led her to emphasize foreign languages at the expense of history; there were only so many hours in a day! Her high school record looked like this:

9th: World History from 1700 to 2000 (at home, the third year of her chronological sweep through history)
10th: AP US History (out of the home class)
11th: AP Comparative Politics and Government (out of the home class)

You might not classify it as history, but she also did

12th: Art History (quarter long class at the community college)

We had access to excellent AP teachers at a free homeschooling resource center, and that was part of what decided our history choices during the high school years.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

My first born started homeschooling since k, but as I am finding we like to take the scenic route with history, I am actually seriously considering a six year history cycle. This could change of course but I am sort of thinking towards jr high / high school at what that'd look like. So I think the idea of continuing the history cycle were you're at when you get to high school works. It could mean that you finish chronological history in 11th and year 12 looks different ----current events, government, or they don't do history that year.

I've been finding Ambleside online to be a good guideline for how to do a 6 year cycle through jr high / senior high school. I might not actually follow their whole curriculum but it helps me get an idea for what I might like to do.

Right now I am thinking---

7th - world cultures and geography

8th- Pre-history - Ancients

9th- Rome to Renaissance

10th- Renaissance to 1860

11th -1860 to Modern

12 - US gov / current events / econ

• Like 2