Menu

Does anyone delay math instruction until age 8?

stm4him

I talk a about random maths and science stuff like that. I also noticed after reading an article about what parents talked about when reading to their kids that I talked about the text rather than the picture (the article claimed the opposite). I agree though that many people would not think of talking to their kids about maths. And I don't stretch to base four dinosaurs although we did discuss binary. Reading Penrose is a good starting point.

Eta I can't sing and I don't like to listen to music though so I am a bit of a fail there.

I think I did a lot of counting when the boys were little, and I used to run my fingers under text and numbers as I read them out loud.  I don't think I did much other every day maths at that point - I was glad to use the SM pre-school programme later, which prompted us to do lots of activities.

On the other hand, I sang all the time and we read books for hours each day.  Both boys play instruments and sing.

A nice crossover: we were walking in our neighbourhood and Calvin stopped and pointed at the house number.  Then he said the name of a nursery rhyme.  When we got home, sure enough, the nursery rhyme that he mentioned was on that numbered page.

• Like 3

While I did delay starting MATH in any official capacity until age 8, let me say that I DO NOT recommend delaying math fact memorization until age 8.    Kids memorize best at the earlier ages (not that they don't at age 8 also), but I'd definitely do flashcards/math memory songs earlier than age 8.   And I'd have them WRITE numbers before age 8.    

I am doing Ray's with my 2nd DS until third grade. Ray's is almost completely oral story problems. We will begin more formal math next year using Strayer-Upton, which begins at the 3rd grade level. I was influenced by writings by Ruth Beechick, the Bluedorns, Benezet, the Moores, and Paul Ziegler of Systematic Mathematics. Also the Waldorf educators.

FINLAND is no longer#1 but dropped to#12 in the latest PISA rankings. #1 is Shanghai followed by Singapore, Hong Kong and Taiwan. All kids from these countries start math at a very young age. HAVING said this we should not compare these scores whith homeschool but I just wanted to correct the comment made above regarding Finland. I would be.interested to read studies about kids starting math later on though,If someone has a link.:-)