Menu

For dyslexic/ADHD: MindPlay Virtual Reading Coach

DeniseF

MindPlay VRC:  The HSBC has this for $199/year now.  I searched the WTM forum and can't find anyone who has experience with this but am interested in trying it.  There is a 30 day trial available (or you buy it and can return it within 30 days if it doesn't work, I forgot which).  I'm considering it for my dyslexic 7 year old DS who has just started reading recently, thanks to Lindamood-Bell Seeing Stars program at one of their centers, but I want to continue to give him intensive or somewhat intensive experience at home and can't actually do that much of it with him one-on-one due to various constraints on time, patience, etc.  Has anyone tried it?  

I have never heard of it.  I will be honest, though, I just don't see a computer being able to truly help a dyslexic child if that is the primary source of instruction.  Is that what this system is?  One of the local schools tried doing remediation that way and it was a dismal failure.  It actually did more harm than good.  I am not responding from personal experience, though.  Perhaps this is a well done program.  

Have you looked at a more traditional program for dyslexics?  Like Wilson or Barton or something else OG based?  I realize that you may not want to take on a very teacher intense tutoring program but I will be honest, I don't know that anything else will be as helpful.  Is there another parent in your area using one of these programs that might be willing to do the primary instruction with you doing some scaffolding or something?