Menu

Public School rituals in the Home School?

I tend to agree with Ramona The Pest about the Pled Jelly Juntz and the Dawnzer Lee Light. When I was ds's age (first grader), I thought that Witchit Stands was a hill in Salem, Massachusetts where they burned witches at the stake.

My 20somethings turned out okay without all that and I assume the little will too.

I did grades for middle school when asked: 90-100% is an A, 80-90% is a B, 70-80% is a C, under 70% means we'd better do it again because either I wasn't teaching or the kid wasn't learning.

I did back-to-school sales this year and hope to transition to clearance sales. I don't remember when that happened with the olders.

It's fun seeing what other people incorporate from their pleasant memories of B & M schools that I never even thought of. I don't have that many pleasant memories of my own.

Except for the sound of those pink playground balls I used to dribble during recess. I am SO getting ds one of those! ;)

I tend to agree with Ramona The Pest about the Pled Jelly Juntz and the Dawnzer Lee Light. When I was ds's age (first grader), I thought that Witchit Stands was a hill in Salem, Massachusetts where they burned witches at the stake.

ose! ;)

You probably know this now, but they never burned anyone at the stake in Salem. Hanged, pressed to death and smothered with rocks, drowned, but not burned. My tidbit of the day. ;)

I'm thinking of letting them pick out one and making their lunch each day, complete with fun notes or drawings to surprise them, and injecting a little bit of that fun  lunch room vibe to our days. I could include a read aloud while they have their fun lunch in their very own box.

Mine used to take their lunchboxes on field trips and to homeschool group park days. They loved the idea of lunchboxes, but I was most definitely not up for packing lunches every day, let alone cute ones with notes.

Oh, they did talk me into buying those hard plastic trays like they had seen used in school cafeterias in movies and on TV. Once or twice a week, I would serve their lunches on those trays. They loved that, too.

I would shoo them out of our homeschooling room or space for a day or two in advance of our first day so I could clean and organize. I tried to always have some new things to hang on the walls that reflected our themes for the year, and I would welcome them to their new classroom on our official first day.

We used to do first day "meetings" when we would go through all of the curricula and books for the year and talk about expectations and plans. We also did back-to-school shopping, and they weren't allowed to open anything until the first day. So, they would happily spend half an hour unpacking all of the supplies and arranging their books and desks.

That's all I can think of at the moment.