Menu

MFW Exploration to 1850 for 8th Grade-2014

TexasTrue

We will be using MFW Exploration to 1850 this year for our 8th grade dd.

This is what we have so far to go along with it:

English:

The Shurley Method (mostly for the grammar) I already have the book and will use it unless PH satisfies my standards in this area.

Prentice Hall Literature, Timeless Voices, Timeless Themes, Silver Edition

BJU Pre-Algebra

Science:  Still unsure about this! Ugh! Any ideas? Our dd loved science until last year. She was in public schools 1/2 year and the science teacher taught them 6th grade science. She lost all interest in it so I need a science that will really get her captivated again! Also, any ideas about a good book for using microscopes? She has a really great one and we haven't been able to use it since we don't know what we are doing! Ugh again!

Latin: Not sure about which to use. She did English from the Roots Up in an earlier curriculum of MFW. That's all the exposure she has had. Any ideas?

History: Story of the World, Vol 3, as in our MFW package, but I am including the Activity book as well as the tests.

Guitar: Private lessons

Photography: Private and possibly 4-H

Spanish: Rosetta Stone

Logic: The Snake and the Fox

In the past we have enjoyed the suggested reading lists in the TE. We have tried to always read some out of each section or recommended for the chapters. This has given our dd a more rounded insight and a deeper education than just skipping them as being unimportant.

Some have said that MFW products may not be challenging enough, but if you do all the suggestions you will find that it is not only interesting, but fulfills the questions the kids may have otherwise. You can make this curriculum easier or harder, depending on your style and what you choose to do with it.

I have found it makes our home flow a little smoother and is such a pleasant atmosphere. It is centered on Christianity and that makes it a fit for our home. We, also, study the Bible more in depth than it calls for. Our typical day started around 8-9 am and would end around 3 pm. We also spent a lot of times outdoors with the previous versions and plan on doing that this year as well. You can always adjust your days to work for you...that's what I love about having the TE that does the plans and everything for you.

We have used Adventures in My Father's World; Exploring other Countries and Cultures; and Creation to the Greeks. Our dd LOVED

these! We only skipped Rome to Reformation to stay on track with Texas guidelines and they are working on the history line of Exploration to 1850 for this year.

Blessings!

for science....  would using MFW's recommendation for 8th graders work out?  apologia physical.     ??

We didn't really use a book to learn to use our microscope... We did that in biology and I guess whatever was in the text was enough. but maybe this article would help if the type is the same you have

http://www.hometrainingtools.com/a/how-to-use-a-microscope-teaching-tip

or maybe just find a youtube video out there?

I remember liking our EX1850 years...  first time I taught it my oldest was 5th grade and middle gal was 2nd... then five years later, middle gal was 7th, and youngest got to tag along with some stuff (based on her special needs and abilities).  I still recall my middle daughter's style of helping her to memorize the book of James.   good memories.

Thanks Cbollin!

I will check out Apologia Physical, but to be honest she saw a book on Human Biology and wanted it so bad. I didn't get it because I was worried she would not have the basics down enough to understand it. Which book did you use for biology?

You tube is a great idea.

I forgot to add in the original post that we are also reading Exploring American History. If I feel the curriculum is too weak in any area I always supplement.

I'm excited about dd memorizing the book of James. I'm so glad you have good memories of it!

When my oldest and middle gals were each in 9th grade, we used Apologia's Biology with mfw lesson plans.  I know it was enough for our science nerd family.  My dh has a phd in chemistry and works in structural biology, so we like science stuff.  He was always glad at the level of labs for intro class in sciences in high school for them.  He liked the texts overall.  (not that he is an expert for the industry.. just expert in our house on this stuff.)

We liked the tests had to have them working on writing definitions of vocab.  Our goals aren't to have full college credit while in high school, but to prepare them to be ready for college.  So it was good for us.  might not work for others.  beauty of homeschooling right? 

My oldest gal?  she was not a fan of biology as a subject.  she's engineering/computer science major. nothing would have made her happy for biology.

Middle gal: finished apologia biology this year and told me "that was the best class I've ever had in school"  she really enjoyed it and learned a lot.  She liked using microscope and drawing the details.  she didn't get too grossed out on dissections.  (she was nervous about earthworm at first but then was just amazed looking at everything.)

Okay, I decided on Apologia's Exploring Creation with Physical Science. I'm so excited and so is Kristen. I was able to find the Text, Test and Solutions, as well as the Multimedia Companion CD for $50 ppd. What a great deal! All I have to buy now is the Student Workbook.