Menu

COVD Doctor

Good question!  When we started, I was able to get feedback from people who had used the two popular places around us, so that was helpful.  Definitely put the question out there (support groups, online reviews, etc.).  In general, a place that has a Fellow is a good sign.  Our doc wasn't a Fellow but was in a large practice where a Fellow was the lead doc and most of the other docs were in COVD.  They took dev. vision very seriously at the practice, so basically ANY doc could screen and take care of you.  

When you look at a doc, you're trying to figure out how much they do it and if they have the expertise level to deal with your situation.  Definitely call around and talk with all the docs within a sane drive of you, because you'll start to see the differences.  Our place had a COVD-certified therapist for the lead therapist.  She was AMAZING and kept up to date with the newest techniques, etc.  So you'll see everything from big places with lots of therapists to smaller places where the doc does the therapy.  That's not necessarily a bad thing btw.  There's a doc out in CA who's extremely well-regarded (say his name, docs know it all over the country) who does his own therapy.  He specializes in sports therapy and worked a miracle for someone I know who had very complex sensory integration and vision problems.  If a place does sports therapy, that can be another clue that they've moved beyond paper therapy and are skilled at doing a variety of things.  Our place also does PACE (like Learning RX) so the therapist was able to bring some of those skills into sessions.  

As you call each place, ask about pricing, how you pay, what insurance is likely to cover, etc.  You may see some variations there.  Our place would let you pay for individual sessions or buy a month block.  They NEVER asked you to buy more than a month upfront and certainly never required it.  Sometimes you'll find a doc pressuring (or requiring!) you to pay large amounts upfront, and we've had people here on the boards burnt with that.  There might be a reputable doc doing that, but as a consumer it sure doesn't give you a lot of options if you're unhappy or it's not a good fit in any way.

Find out how they measure progress.  Some places do a monthly check with the doc so they can retest and track progress.  Vague is bad.  

Now subjective things.  You should never feel like a cash cow.  Our place was very upfront on finances and gave you a signed paper with an estimate on the number of sessions.  Each place is different, but go by your gut meter. And this is even more subjective, but your dc needs to click with whomever will be doing the therapy.  Our place had a particular therapist who was good with dd and who had that ability to connect with her and get her to do the work with a cheerful attitude.  If you have concerns that the therapists aren't going to click with your dc, it matters.  It would be better to drive farther and get the right person.

Well good luck!  Keep us posted on how it goes.  We love hearing VT stories.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks. We went and did the initial appointment today with one doctor. I can't say I was overly-impressed, but I only got five hours of sleep last night. She wants to do additional testing. This entire process is just overwhelming. We're dealing with so many issues right now, I just don't know if I have the energy for another one. Hopefully, I feel better after a little sleep!

Well now is the time to slow down, get your sleep, and think through the doctor thing.  You want to do the long eval with the doc you want to use for therapy.  If you don't like this doc, don't trust her, have bad vibes going, now is the time to look for a different one.  Did you get personal recommendations for her?  Is she a Fellow with COVD? (Doesn't have to be, but it's a good sign.)  Does she do this quite a bit?  Were there any red flags?

In the meantime, I hope you get some sleep.  I agree, this process is always nerve-wracking.  Fortunately, vision stuff corrects pretty well.  It's not like you're talking years of something.  It won't be fun, but you'll do it and get it over with and be much better for it.

If you want something to think about, think about incentives and rewards.  I tried lego kits with my dd.  Maybe food or cell phone cards or something is your dc's currency?  

Do any of you have strategies on how to find a trustworthy COVD doctor? We live in the Orange County, CA. Our neuropsych recommended that my son get a developmental eye exam.

My strategy: Go with my gut. 

We started with one COVD that was recommended by someone to us, but I just didn't feel right about their recommendations and costs.

I looked up and found a different doctor on COVD.org, went for a consultation with him, and felt very comfortable with him and his recommendations.  My son ended up seeing him for a year and we had a great outcome from our vision therapy that allowed my son to overcome his ocular motor deficiencies.  

Sorry you feel overwhelmed.. there is always a lot going in the earlier years.  Hang in there!  We had a great outcome.. All of the hard work paid off handsomely, but it has been quite a journey!!  If you want some encouragement, you can read our story at: http://learningabledkids.com/articles_about_homeschooling/overcoming_learning_disabilities_through_homeschooling.htm  HUGS!! :-D

My strategy: Go with my gut. 

We started with one COVD that was recommended by someone to us, but I just didn't feel right about their recommendations and costs.

I looked up and found a different doctor on COVD.org, went for a consultation with him, and felt very comfortable with him and his recommendations.  My son ended up seeing him for a year and we had a great outcome from our vision therapy that allowed my son to overcome his ocular motor deficiencies.  

Sorry you feel overwhelmed.. there is always a lot going in the earlier years.  Hang in there!  We had a great outcome.. All of the hard work paid off handsomely, but it has been quite a journey!!  If you want some encouragement, you can read our story at: http://learningabledkids.com/articles_about_homeschooling/overcoming_learning_disabilities_through_homeschooling.htm  HUGS!! :-D

Thanks for the encouragement. :)  I'll read your story!