Menu

World History of Science?

I am looking for a high school level World History curriculum that is primarily focused on science or scientists. I'm not sure such a thing exists but my dd is interested in the study of the development of science through the years & needs a World History course. I would love to find something made so I don't have to start from scratch.

A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson.  It isn't a text book, but a very readable book about science and the discoveries of scientists through the ages.  You could build a lovely course around it with literature, biographies of scientists, research, and if you poke around a bit, some documentaries or perhaps even some Teaching Company courses.  Assign essays and short research topics, perhaps a big final project and you have yourself a nice high school course.

My DD rescued a copy of A Short History of Nearly Everything that was being discarded by the library.  She is very science-oriented, and LOVED the book, and has read many passages repeatedly.

We are considering doing the Big History project for science this year, starting in the fall. The website is bighistoryproject.com.  We have only poked around and made a tentative schedule, after Chrysalis Academy mentioned it, but it looks very cool, and flexible.  Perhaps it would work for your DD.