Menu

crosspost: fun summer math after 6th grade

My 8 yr old son spent this past year in outside school for the first time. He tested into 6th grade math and did well in it though I think he will do well with a review before going onto the next level, especially since he is so young. We had used MM and life of Fred prior to that. We also have some apps like hands on equation, dragon box that I can use but we consider these extras, not the main thing.

I'll like suggestions on fun review ideas like board games, apps, books etc that will reinforce 6th grade and above skills. While in school, he used Prentice Hall course 1 which we won't be using and we plan to continue from where we left off with MM. However I am also open to ideas about other curriculum that might fit better. I know a lot of MM 5 is repetition of what he has done in Kumon or school.

My main reason for wanting something fun, challenging and different for a while is that over the last year he has gradually lost his joy and love of learning. In the past though he sometimes found his work challenging, he approached it with a better attitude and a desire to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

If he liked LoF, why not continue with that? If he likes reading about math, but you want to use something beside LoF, how about the Murderous Maths series? If you just want lots of practice problems, maybe the Key to workbooks would work for you. They are inexpensive and easy to travel around with.

• 2 weeks later...

You might consider Balance Benders from Critical Thinking Company.

You might also take a look at Logic Links from MindWare.  There are four book levels, A through D.  There is also a boxed set of puzzles.  That link is here.  (Logical thinking is a skill that will likely pay off when she gets to Geometry.)

Some games that promote logical thinking:

Quarto

Iota

SET

Equate   (this one gives your math brain a real workout!)

Regards,

Kareni