Menu

Sensitivity? Allergy? Something Else?

MomOfOneFunOne

AMDG

Suppose you thought you had some kind of chronic pain thingy AND eyelids so chronically puffy/swollen that you thought it was a genetic feature.

Suppose you thought that for a long, long time.

Then suppose years later your kiddo has really awful allergies and a chronic, never-goes-away headache.

Suppose you have tried everything for your kiddo and then decide it's a food item or class of food items that could be either causing or exacerbating your child's very bad allergies and permanent headache.

Suppose that you eliminated this food, class of foods, from your home and avoided it when out. 

Suppose you then noticed that your daughter's allergies and headache were GREATLY diminished.

Suppose, on a lark b/c you only did it to help your daughter, you noticed that your own pain, fatigue, and super puffy/swollen eyes were magically cured.

THEN suppose you then returned to your previous diet and all your and daughter's symptoms returned . . . with a vengeance.

1.  Sensitivity?  Allergy?  Something else?

2.  Considering the daughter, could there be a secondary sensitivity/allergy/something else contributing to the remaining headache/allergies?  Although greatly diminished, still present. 

3.  What in the world could we pursue for that last bit of headache? 

4.  What if it's as common as air . . . What do you tell people?  Oh, I can't have that, I'm allergic to air.  How do you ever feel like that isn't too dumb to say?  Now, don't get excited!  This is new to us and my daughter and my daughter 1) LOVES that food and 2) doesn't mind being different in some ways and does not like being different in other ways and really doesn't want this difference.

What's the thing?  SUGAR!  I actually find this embarrassing for some reason.  I cannot say why.  Any tips?

Also, sugar is a pretty tough thing to quit and my daughter thinks a future without sugar is a pretty bleak future.  What do you do?

Oh, and for many years we thought she was lactose intolerant . . . nope, sugar!

My answer depends on how old daughter is. There are times my adult dd decides that she wants X food enough to put up with the complications it causes. If she were younger, I would be making her avoid it as much as I possibly could. Even with a younger child, unless they are with you all the time, you can only control their food to a certain degree. They have to be on board or they will eat it when you aren't around. 

1. Doesn't actually matter what you call it, it makes you sick.

2. Definitely could be a 2nd allergen. My dd is allergic to more things on this earth than she is not allergic to.

3. I wish you luck.

4. No thank you should work. If they push, I am allergic will stop most pushing. Then, there are those people who don't believe you and will give you something they have made with the item in it and tell you that it isn't in it. Yes, people do this.