Menu

Trachycardia after illness?

AimeeM

Lately, in the evenings, I've felt like my heart is racing, pounding, light headed, etc. This didn't start until after my recent bout with a serious sinus infection (entire left side of face twice its normal size) and a nasty bronchitis. I'm a week into my antibiotics and steriods and feeling MUCH, MUCH better - but for this. I feel fine until evening then I just feel uncomfortable and... racy (lol). My BP machine does show my pulse at about 120... but that really isn't that abnormal for me (I've always had a fast pulse - always), so why does it FEEL like it's coming out of my chest?! My husband listened and said he didn't hear anything abnormal.

(yes, I'm going to follow up with my PCP, since the doctor I saw for my infections was an after hours urgent care doctor... but now I'm back in the same situation - it's the weekend, lol)

You have a history of tachycardia (resting heartrate over 100) and have never been evaluated by a cardiologist??!  I would do so ASAP.

Even if you think tachycardia is not abnormal for you, it is abnormal, period.  The cardiologist would want to rule out defects if that has not already been done.  Even if there are no physical defects, that amount of effort while at rest is not good in the long term.

You should definitely follow up with your physician, as you're planning to do. However, corticosteroids can cause a racing or rapid heartbeat. This is one of the possible side effects. Even so, I think you are wise to check with your health practitioner to be sure all is well.

You have a history of tachycardia (resting heartrate over 100) and have never been evaluated by a cardiologist??!  I would do so ASAP.

Even if you think tachycardia is not abnormal for you, it is abnormal, period.  The cardiologist would want to rule out defects if that has not already been done.  Even if there are no physical defects, that amount of effort while at rest is not good in the long term.

I don't know. I mean, not to my knowledge (have I seen a cardiologist) - unless my parents took me as a young child. I've had a faster pulse since I can remember (childhood) and was always told it was "normal for a girl" to have a faster pulse - my mother has the same.

I'll ask my PCP for a referral. He may be able to do some of the tests immediately in his own office... I'm not sure.

You should definitely follow up with your physician, as you're planning to do. However, corticosteroids can cause a racing or rapid heartbeat. This is one of the possible side effects. Even so, I think you are wise to check with your health practitioner to be sure all is well.

Can it cause delayed rapid heartbeat? I take my steriods with dinner - this starts around late afternoon/early evening. I do NOT care for steriods. Lol.

And I shouldn't google. I keep coming up with something called "abnormal sinus trachycardia", which apparently can happen after a serious illness. Google isn't my friend :P

I don't know. I mean, not to my knowledge (have I seen a cardiologist) - unless my parents took me as a young child. I've had a faster pulse since I can remember (childhood) and was always told it was "normal for a girl" to have a faster pulse - my mother has the same.

I'll ask my PCP for a referral. He may be able to do some of the tests immediately in his own office... I'm not sure.

Your PCP might be able to run an EKG, though a cardiologist would probably want to perform an echo.

At least, that's how it went when I was evaluated for tachycardia when I was pregnant with my twins.  (As it turned out, it was just a pregnancy thing, though apparently various stresses such as pregnancy can cause a previously unknown defect to exhibit symptoms)

Make sure you are thoroughly hydrated. Don't drink water only, but gatorade and juices.

I have been thoroughly evaluated for tachycardia three times. EKG's, holter monitor, echo. None of the cardiologists I have seen have recommended meds. My heart rate goes really low at night so my daily average is normal, which is supposed to be typical for inappropriate sinus tachycardia. My tachycardia was worse during pregnancy and after illness, especially when my weight was lower. If you've never had the tests, it's worthwhile to get them done. Prednisone did not increase my heart rate, from what I remember, but I could feel it beat more strongly. I would take it in the morning and feel it mid afternoon. My mood would plummet, too, when it kicked in, and I don't think I'm the only one who gets an emotional reaction from it, so that's something to consider.

Being tachy is no fun, but I'm glad you're getting better. Hopefully, your heart will settle down soon. I don't think it should last more than a week if you're really taking care of yourself, drinking enough, and getting enough sleep.

Can it cause delayed rapid heartbeat? I take my steriods with dinner - this starts around late afternoon/early evening. I do NOT care for steriods. Lol.

And I shouldn't google. I keep coming up with something called "abnormal sinus trachycardia", which apparently can happen after a serious illness. Google isn't my friend :P

Hmm. I haven't heard of it being confined to a specific time of day, although I suppose it's possible. I wonder if it's possible that it's happening all day, but because you're busy you don't notice it until later in the evening when you're perhaps less preoccupied? Also, another thought is that might it be related to either when you take the steroid and/or its cumulative effect over the course of the day? I really don't know. I think it's best if you check with your physician.

You might want to ask your primacry care to check your thyroid...TSH, Free T3 and Free T4 to start. I had an upper respiratory viral infection in May and developed the worst case of thyroiditis from it, rapid heart rate in the 120s-130s was a symptom. I went hyperthyroid for 3 months and have now swung the other way as my thyroid attempts to heal. Upper respiratory infections in the summer are a prime culprit. Get it checked. My doctor sent me to an endo who put me on metoprolol to slow down the racing feeling. I am starting to feel so much better, but it has been a slow recovery from the thyroiditis. My endo said she sees so many cases of this every summer.