Menu

Learn Math Fast Update

I've had a couple of questions about Learn Math Fast - if we are still using it, if we still like it, etc. - here's my original reviewand here's my update....

We did start out this year with ds 12 (now 13) using Saxon 1/2 after using LMF last year -I just felt like LMF wasn't giving him a comprehensive enough overview-kiwm. . He did great until mid- year and then just got frazzled and bogged down (around lesson 63). We switched back to LMF II (1/2 way through) that focused on fractions, decimals and percents. He cruised through it, doing 1-3 lessons a day, no frustration or struggle (bonus!).

He begged to start LMF IV rather than going back to Saxon. So we're back to Learn Math Fast. They take one concept at a time, simple workbooks, straightforward for the get er' done types (of which ds 13 IS). He is still doing Perplexors (D - often faster than I am) and I'm going to have him work thorugh Keys to Geometry (super easy) for the vocab.

This is another one of my super linguistc, visual types. My 10 year old mathy symbolic learner is still loving Saxon 5/6 and doing a couple of lessons a day. She did the first half of LMF III and just stopped. The concepts were too hard for her, too fast.

So, there you have it. LMF introduces just a concept at a time, but it goes fast. If your learner is ready for the concept and just needs to nail it,is a get it done worker and is overwhelmed by the weight of the visuals in some math books (this was definitely an issue with my visual ds 13 and Saxon- he'd look at the lesson- dense with words and symbols- and just know he couldn't get it done), LMF might just be the ticket for them!