Menu

The Purpose of an I-Search paper?

Well, your question made me curious, so this is what I found out. (I guess I should have written an I-search paper on the topic!)

from Writing an I-Search Paper

Even though an I-Search paper is usually less formal and more personal than a traditional research paper, its purpose is the same—to find information. The difference is that the topic for an I-Search comes from a personal need to know something—that is what the “I†in ISearch represents.

From the

I-Search Paper

The I-search paper helps you, as a student, to incorporate the story of the search itself into the writing of the paper. It also permits you to search for the answer to a question which is personally important rather than choosing a topic that may have little bearing on your life and little connection to your personal interests

An I-Search paper is a personal research paper about a topic that is important to the writer. An I-Search paper is usually less formal than a traditional research paper; it tells the story of the writer's personal search for information, as well as what the writer learned about the topic.

DS (17) is writing an I-Search paper on nuclear arms and the right to bear/control them.

What is the purpose of this weird hybrid paper?:tongue_smilie:

We assign I-Search essays in some of the lower-level English classes in the community college where I teach. I tend to assign traditional research essays, but my understanding of the purpose of I-Search is to teach students how to conduct research effectively. It's supposed to help them think through the processes of choosing a topic, developing a thesis, finding and evaluating sources, and choosing the best supporting material. The intent is that students will be better equipped to write traditional research essays after completing an I-Search essay.