Menu

EPGY and Thinkwell

Hi,

Does EPGY use Thinkwell for math or have they created their own program? I am looking for an online Calculus course for my DS (12) for next year. If they use Thinkwell then I would rather go right to the source. So far I have found and am considering the following:

Thinkwell, EPGY, Northwestern CTD and Johns Hopkins CTY.

Any info insight on this would be great!

Thanks,

Annika

John Hopkins is the talent center program that uses Thinkwell while EPGY has their own program.

Our 13 y/o did Thinkwell solo after having done EPGY PreCalculus. We did not find the tutors at EPGY to be available or helpful but he managed an "A" in the course without any help so I figured he could do Thinkwell without a tutor's help too! You DO want the cjld to have a strong background from PRecalculus and Trig before Thinkwell calculus though, imo.

Mary

Thanks Mary. May I ask what math program your 13 y/o used prior to EPGY? My son has used Saxon and then Teaching Textbooks for Algebra 1, Geometry and Algebra 2. Algebra 2 had a Trig component to it. Does Thinkwell have a placement test?

Thanks,

Annika

Sure.. ds used Singapore and then Jacobs Geometry prior to the EPGY Precalculus/Trig.

I don't think there is a placement test with Thinkwell, sorry. I would caution that from what I saw of the TT Algebra 2 program it would not have prepared a student for EPGY PRecalculus. I ordered the TT program when I was reading all the posts about it and how it was developed with the gifted in mind. It wasn't complete as compared to other programs and I now understand that they say a student needs to complete through the precalc to get all the material. Also, the pace and difficulty level of the lectures and problems in Thinkwell Calculus will be considerably more challenging than what a TT student is used to. Not trying to sound snotty or anything like that but don't want you to be blind-sided by the differences in the program either. If I were in your position, I'd start with the Thinkwell Precalculus and not jump right into Calculus. Just a suggestion. The more foundation work a young student can get in the Algebra 2/precal material is so beneficial later.

Good luck!

Mary

We have NOT taken a math course through CTY, but have taken two of their computer programming courses. We found the tutors to be pretty helpful from that department at least.

Regarding THinkwell, I purchased directly from them for College Algebra and Trigonometry. Their College Algebra course is equivalent to a good honors level AL II course for the most part, however, we found the problems to be rather repetitive and lacking depth or real challenge. Not as good as Foerster for example. Thinkwell offers a precalculus course as well, which if you look very closely is most of the lectures from the College Algebra course (minus the review material) and the material from the trig course combined into one package. The problem with using Thinkwell alone, directly from the company is that you get zero tutorial support. You will only get tech support if you have a problem with the way things are scored or crediting answers and so forth.

What I would recommend doing is looking into Chalkdust if you think you are ready for Pre-calc or Calculus....it is more expensive than Thinkwell, but less expensive than CTY and you get direct tutor support when ever you want it. That is the way we are going to go for our Calculus.

HTH