Menu

Doubling up on math -

My 15yo is very interested in graduating a year early. I have gone over our state requirements and I think that she can do it without killing herself - except for the math.

She would need to be ready to take the SAT next spring and she has only completed Algebra 1. Has anyone here had their child double up on math - taking Geometry and Algebra 2 at the same time? She used Teaching Textbooks for Algebra and I was thinking of having her do TT Alg 2 (as it flows well from Alg 1) and then use a totally different approach for Geometry - maybe Life of Fred or Chalkdust?

Any ideas?? Thanks :)

We'll be doing that with DS this year for 9th grade.

I took Alg. I my freshman year of HS. A lot of the students who had gone to the local junior high (I didn't) had taken Alg. I in 8th and Geometry their freshman year. At the end of the school year the Alg. I teacher pulled me and another kid out in the hallway and told us that we should do Alg. II & Geometry the next year, so we did.

I taught myself Geometry. The teacher was admittedly only there awaiting a full-time coaching job (thankfully, he got it, and is no longer in a math classroom). I had a lot of fun with it, and I don't anticipate any problems with DS doing it this year.

He got a slow start in math and is way ahead in science, so he can't do any more science without alg. 2. He did alg. 1 last year and then started on Jacobs' Geometry in the last 6 weeks or so of school. Next year he will do Jacobs' Geometry and Foerster's Algebra and Trigonometry at the same time. Jacobs has a built-in algebra review that we will disregard.

My husband did algebra 2 and geometry at the same time in high school. I did chemistry and physics at the same time. I think algebra and geometry are such different disciplines there won't be a bit of trouble. We're looking at geometry almost like a science, and a little like a logic class.

The only thing I'm worried about is keeping up with him. This past year he's had great success in algebra, and I really believe a lot of that is because I've done the work simultaneously. The thought of me doing almost two hours of math every day is daunting. I don't worry about the boy at all!

Like the others who have responded, I took Algebra 2 and Geometry concurrently in high school, and my younger dd did the same thing at home. I actually finished Geometry in about 9 weeks, so it wasn't really a matter of doing both courses for a year. I would suggest you let your child start now, work as far as she can in whichever one she's strongest (just plow through), and then switch to the other one and do the same thing. She might surprise you and finish both of them by Christmas. GRIN.

My ds2 doubled up on algebra 1 and geometry this year, and he will be completing geometry and doing algebra 2 next concurrently.

He did fine doubling up on math. We always talked about eh subjects as "algebra" and "geometry" so he didn't feel overwhelmed by his "ttwo maths." They are VERY different subjects, and we treated them as two different subjects.

If your ds does math year-round, except for major holidays, he should not have to double up. If you have your next math text, have him begin it now, and he should finish mid-year, and then may begin the next text in your sequence.

It'll look like this:

July through March --algebra II or geometry

March through November next in your math sequence

November--begin higher level science text along with math review

July begin next math text & next text in science

Your son should then be on target to begin pre-calculus or calculus the summer between 11th & 12th grade

Thanks for all the encouragement!

So, it is obviously doable...but I don't know about plowing through because she will also need to be doubling up a bit in History and English, so she will be quite busy.

If, that is, we let her do it - my husband is still not sure whether it is a good idea. She wants to graduate early because she is two years younger than her older sister and is among the youngest in their group of friends. I think that she does not want to be *still home* when everyone else is in college - kwim? Recently, one of her friends (who is her age) announced that she will be graduating a year early from her private school and that seemed to light a fire under my daughter.

But...will she really be ready for college at 17? That is another post, I guess!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement!

So, it is obviously doable...but I don't know about plowing through because she will also need to be doubling up a bit in History and English, so she will be quite busy.

If, that is, we let her do it - my husband is still not sure whether it is a good idea. She wants to graduate early because she is two years younger than her older sister and is among the youngest in their group of friends. I think that she does not want to be *still home* when everyone else is in college - kwim? Recently, one of her friends (who is her age) announced that she will be graduating a year early from her private school and that seemed to light a fire under my daughter.

But...will she really be ready for college at 17? That is another post, I guess!!!

That is indeed, another question. I was too young at 17yo. My daughter was amazingly mature at 16yo, and has maintained her 4.0, despite attending college "full time" (dual enrolled and at the university after graduation) for 96 semester hours thus far!

I believe in not closing doors. You might as well encourage her to try doubling up on some things, and her motivation and effort will determine whether or not she is mature enough and ready for college. If she's not finished, then she's not ready.