Menu

Anybody use Bedell curriculum?

:lurk5:

I looked into this a few years ago, but didn't want to spend the money without more reviews. There are just so few people who use it (at least compared to the more well-known programs).

ETA: I just looked at the site and it's a bit concerning that it says on the order page that not all volumes are available. On the samples page they only have the TOC listed for 4 volumes, not for all 9. I personally wouldn't want to start a program if there was a chance of not being able to purchase all of the volumes; I guess you'd have to contact them to check on availability.

Edited by lotsofpumpkins

:lurk5:

I looked into this a few years ago, but didn't want to spend the money without more reviews. There are just so few people who use it (at least compared to the more well-known programs).

ETA: I just looked at the site and it's a bit concerning that it says on the order page that not all volumes are available. On the samples page they only have the TOC listed for 4 volumes, not for all 9. I personally wouldn't want to start a program if there was a chance of not being able to purchase all of the volumes; I guess you'd have to contact them to check on availability.

I actually emailed him about that because I was concerned about that as well. He replied today (less than 2 hours after I emailed him) and said volumes 1-8 are finished and Lord willing volume 9 will be done within a year. :001_smile:

I actually emailed him about that because I was concerned about that as well. He replied today (less than 2 hours after I emailed him) and said volumes 1-8 are finished and Lord willing volume 9 will be done within a year. :001_smile:

Ok, good to know! The whole idea of it is intriguing; I'd love to hear more about it from someone who has used it!

I have all the volumes except 4 and 5 and the unpublished volume 9. There will be two versions of Bedell by next year. The original version is presented according to the order of the books of the Bible. The second version will have lessons grouped by subject.

I have little fear that volume 9 will be completed. The author is very committed to this project. The only reason volume 9 isn't published is because he is writing volume 9 of the 2 curricula simultaneously, while also writing version 2 volumes 1-8. This man is a prolific writer.

This is my fall back curriculum when I am feeling fried and crispy around the edges. It works great as a read aloud. Gather your chicks, read some Bible, do some Charlotte Mason style narration with them. Read Bedell, ask them the suggested questions. There are research questions for the older children, but just having them do the younger lessons really covers a LOT, and these are not needed unless you are specifically wanting to teach research and/or writing skills that day.

I don't believe in stressing over science textbooks and the typical high school scope and sequence.

Read Art Robinson's views on science

http://www.robinsoncurriculum.com/view/rc/s31p1015.htm

Science Matters: Achieving Scientific Literacy

http://www.amazon.com/Science-Matters-Achieving-Scientific-Literacy/dp/0307454584/ref=ntt_at_ep_dpt_2

I really like Bedell. Sometimes I put it away when I am obsessed with making neat looking lists divided up equally by 36, or something equally meaningless, but seemingly important at the time. Version 2 is being written for list making people :-)

It's one of those things I keep coming back to. I'm currently using volume 3 Patriarchs with a student I'm tutoring. I often use these books for my own self-education. I find the topics covered fascinating, and all sorts of isolated tid bits in my brain become all linked up, and the world starts feeling safer somehow.

Edited by Hunter