Menu

[Xpost from college board] - "Secondary" scholarships - where do we start?

[Xposting to general board because maybe some of you can help, but don't frequent the college board]

DS has selected the school he wants to attend, and is well-positioned to earn some major scholarship funding through the university's primary academic scholarship program. We are pulling together all the application materials, no problems or questions there (well, not any so far, heehee).

So now we are ready to investigate and apply for some of the (for lack of a better term) secondary type scholarships, like the ones offered by various corporations, organizations, etc.

Where did you start in your search for such opportunities? Is there a great database on the web somewhere? A terrific volume at the library?

Admitting here that I am not sure where to start AND very susceptible to information overload. Looking for a clear path. Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

My high school had a list of local scholarships (Knights of Columbus, VFW, etc). They were small amounts, but they helped fund books and the like.

I know libraries have books of them. Also, examine your personal life and relations. There are scholarships for children who have parents in various civic organizations, unions, retired or active military, different ethnic backgrounds, etc.

If your student is an Eagle scout, there are often scholarships for that. If you're just putzing around on the computer, google various things (scholarship college VFW, or whatever). I don't know how legitimate this website is, but it has categories and you could always look up separately the scholarships they mention: http://www.scholarships.com/financial-aid/college-scholarships/scholarships-by-type/academic-scholarships-and-merit-scholarships/