Menu

Is Juvenile Diabetes considered special needs?

Well, I officially have a JD.

I've noticed that my 7yods has been extremely thristy and spending a lot of time in the bathroom. He's been extra tired and painfully thin. He had been sick, I thought maybe he was attempting to rehydrate himself. I was afraid to approach my dh with yet another "special need". I did it. I took him to a friend of ours on Monday about 11am to check his blood sugar. The meter read HI, too high to read. I took him to the ER. Their meter read too high to read. The lab reports came back that his blood sugar was 912. They were talking about taking him via helicopter to a pediatric hospital. His CO2 levels were fairly high so we took him by ambulance to a ped hosp ICU. They dx him with Type 1 Juvenile Early Onset Diabetes. He will be insulin dependent.

I knew absolutely nothing 48 hours ago about blood sugar or diabetes. What a whirlwind of activity and education. It's going to be a process of finding a new way of life. I'm learning all about carbs and how to count them. They hooked us up with a wonderful Pediatric Endocrinologist. So thankful for that!!

Joel is my new hero. He was so brave. Through the IV (and attempts :glare:), ambulance ride, hourly sticks and blood draws - he remained positive and almost excited. He has checked his own blood sugar since yesterday and is ready to give himself the injections. He just doesn't have any fat to shoot into that he can reach. The only problem I'm having is having to say 'no' to him so much on foods.

I can't tell you how many nurses complimented me on what a "good job you must be doing" when they found out we homeschool. It was the one bright spot of the last two days.

Just wondering if there are any other JD kiddos represented here. Any favorite resources?

On the web there's Joslin diabetes Center. There are message boards. I think they are called forums.. (not really sure). I believe there are message boards for parents and kids.. There may even be a Joslin location close to where you live. I got diabetes when I was 12 going on 13, much different from 7.. My guess is that they will try and get your child on a pump as soon as possible as control is better with these.

hugs and prayers,

Ame E.

My youngest has type-1 (since 13 months). She is now almost eight and doing very well. She has been pumping since 3 1/2 and was also was dx with celiac sprue and hypothyroid (not to scare you but you just want to be aware). I think type-1 is a special need. I could not fathom how the local school would have been able to handle all Fi's ups and downs, as well as her food issues. There are a growing number of kids with type-1 who homeschool, and for very good reason!

One of my favorite sites for information and support is the Children With Diabetes site. http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com/

They even have a homeschool list with other type-1 families.

http://mail.castleweb.com:81/guest/RemoteListSummary/cwdHomeSchooled

Most important is to know you are not alone! ((hugs))

Jenny

was also was dx with celiac sprue and hypothyroid (not to scare you but you just want to be aware)

They even have a homeschool list with other type-1 families.

http://mail.castleweb.com:81/guest/RemoteListSummary/cwdHomeSchooled

Jenny,

What is the connection with celiac and JD? I actually joined the Children with Diabetes today. I'll look the other up. Thanks

I realize I am new to this board -- I was looking for austic links -- but I want to send my hugs and prayers. I have had diabetes for almost 25 years (I was 5) and I will say my mother is an angel. Her positive attitude and patience went a long way in helping me.

Also, diabetes is classified as a disability in the sense that schools and places of work CAN NOT discrimate against the person due to their diabetes. I do not believe it is a special need where the government/schools will help to pay for any services. Although my mother did insist the school provide fresh fruit for lunch (HAH - now it is always there) and insisted that my teachers made time for snack time. Of course with everyhting else, homeschooling is the best!

It is information overload for a while but things will level off. Things have improved so much in the last 25 years and I believe the next will be even more. I use to have to color match manually to get a bloodsugar range!

Email if you would like pointers that have helped me.