Menu

I need help answering a question for a friend.

Here is what she is asking:

Hi ladies,

I need your advice! Starting in September I'm going to be an assistant ESL teacher. The teachers I am assisting have been school teachers, however teaching foreigners how to read and write is still a challenge in any situation. They have asked if I know of any homeschool families. Obviously I have :)blank.gif Do you guys have any resources, websites, etc that you would recommend for us to go to. Or even just any tips that you could give us. Again it's a different situation, but a lot of the principles that are used in teaching young children can still work in teaching these women.

If you have any information you would like to share...I would love to have it :)blank.gif Thanks so much!

I was truly thinking of advising her to look into AAS and/or AAR. I think it is such a wonderful program, but I am sure there is many other resources for teaching english and writing to adults.

Any suggesstions?

I can't be of too much help but I used to help in ESL classes several years ago. One thing that was particularly fun to do was to talk about baseball idioms. There are a ton of them in our language and they are really confusing for people who don't know what they mean. We were teaching Chinese folks. It was helpful for them and fun for all of us.