What's with the ads?

Photo

Does sesame oil go bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 Dobela

Dobela

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5549 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:22 PM

I have a bottle of sesame oil I think I bought about 8 years ago. I never opened it and it has been in the back of my bottom cabinet (fairly dark and cool) pretty much ever since then. I want to use it in a recipe, but not if it is spoiled. There is no date on the bottle anywhere so I am dating it by the price tag - and it is of a store I haven't shopped in since we moved 8 years ago.

So, how will I know if it is bad? Since it has never been opened, do you think it is ok to use?

#2 Blueridge

Blueridge

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3923 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 02:36 PM

Honestly, I wouldn't trust it after that long. Have you smelled it? Your first sniff of it should let you know if it is rancid. :tongue_smilie:Most oils will last a year or two unopened, but after opening just 4-6 months. But any oil will get rancid over time, regardless of how it was stored. I would toss it, and then buy a new, small bottle. If you have some sesame seeds, you can toss them briefly in regular oil and flavor that oil with it's lovely good sesame taste.

#3 Laurie4b

Laurie4b

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8568 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:22 PM

Rancid oil is really easy to detect--usually by smell, but a tiny tast will tell as well.. I have no idea how long oil keeps unopened.

#4 Mrs Mungo

Mrs Mungo

Cupcake Executive Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27011 posts

Posted 10 September 2010 - 05:41 PM

Nut oils go rancid easily. I wouldn't trust it at this point. I keep my sesame oil in the refrigerator.

What's with the ads?