Menu

Anyone use CLE for writing/grammar highschool?

We are finishing up 700 LA right now. I'm VERY happy with the grammar content, but we use IEW and MCT also because there isn't enough writing for our needs.

The writing may pick up after 700, but I haven't looked at it yet. I've always planned to continue supplementing the writing--but LOVE the grammar and will continue with CLE into HS. Starting in 9th grade, the format changes to 'English 1' instead of Language Arts, so I think the writing would pick up then.

To view a PDF of the CLE High School Scope and Sequence click here. (includes middle school)

Edited by homeschoolally

I did CLE 7th through 10th grade and was not satisfied with the results. Have been trying to fix my writing gaps ever since. The grammar is okay, I guess. Their new grammar lightunits are pretty good. I'm not sure if they've extended these through the highschool grades yet. The writing on the other hand was bad. They give you assignments to write something or other, but they don't teach you how. Maybe if you're a great teacher you can suppliment with instructions of your own, but they aren't part of the program. I wasn't taught how to properly argue a thesis or how to deliver any type of rhetoric. It was more like "This is a topic sentence. Use some metaphors. Use parallel structure." They don't tell you how to make it all come togther. I think the books suggested in WTM make a lot more sense. This is just my opinion though. Hope you find what works for you.