Menu

Advice on transcripts

Dd#1 had basically finished her hs classes by 15yo, but continued under dual-enrollment at the cc for the next 3 yrs. When she was applying for U., I had the standard 4yr transcript with a note for classes taken outside home (everything for the last 3 yrs of "hs.") Only one school (of 5) wanted to see her hs classes before then since she didn't have some of the standard hs classes (US History for example) at the cc. I just sent them a 2nd transcript listing the hs level classes taken prior to "9th Grade." HTH

FYI: In the application process, you'll have to have official transcripts sent from any other schools where dc take classes. That just doubles what you'll have on your hmscl transcript, but they have to have it to give potential credit & to document what you've said.

So, did you take the grades from o/s instructors and online instructors (assuming you used online/coop classes) and put them on your transcript, or did you also have them complete things to submit to the schools? For example, my dd takes several HS classes online currently and one HS class at a local coop. Can I hand the CC their documentation, or should I integrate into my transcript?

Thanks!

I integrated all academic work for the 4 hs years into one transcript. I used footnotes to state where classes were taken if not at home. (She did 2 FLVS classes along with the cc classes she took.) That way your transcript is at least similar to the others they get & is a concise overview of what their hs years covered.

Also, I did not weigh the grades (& stated such) since different colleges have different weights given for cc classes. I assumed they'd figure that out themselves.

When I was a public school student, those of us in the Pre-IB program (and then IB in high school) received high school credit, that remained on my high school transcript through high school, if we took certain Pre-IB courses, including Algebra, French & Spanish. I did French, and I had to take two years in 7th & 8th grade to get the equivalent of one year of high school credit, and we had to get a B or better, I think, to remain in the Pre-IB then IB program. But it was a full year of study using the same materials that the IB high school kids used in order to get that credit.

I did not include any classes taken prior to high school on my daughter's transcript even though she had taken Latin 1 and Algebra 1 in 8th grade. I did not do so for two main reasons -- the first being that she had an adequate number of high school credits and the second being that she did follow up work in both of those areas which implied that she had covered that material. (For example, she took an additional four years of Latin through the AP level and she took an additional four years of math through PreCalculus and Statistics.) I would have considered including a class taken prior to 9th grade if my daughter did high school level work but did not take a follow up class in that area. My daughter took four years of science from 9th through 12th grades (Physical Science, Chemistry, Geology, and Environmental Science) but she did not take Biology during that time period. Had she taken a high school level Biology class in 8th grade, I might have included it on her transcript as a notation.

My daughter took classes at home, at a homeschooling resource center, at the local community college, and online through PA Homeschoolers. I included grades from all of those locations on her transcript. I varied the font to show where each class had been taken and explained that in the Notes section of the transcript. My daughter had transcripts sent directly from the community college to the colleges to which she applied. PA Homeschoolers at that time did not send transcripts though they do now. The homeschooling resource center does not issue transcripts at all; I explained that fact in my homeschool profile which was also submitted with each college application.

I'd be happy to share my daughter's transcript with you if you send me a personal message with your email address.

Regards,

Kareni