Menu

Making final Algebra 2 plans...would appreciate your thoughts...

Okay...dd16 has completed TT Algebra 1 and will soon finish TT Geometry. She has also been testing through Saxon Algebra 1 to lesson 24 or so and has now begun working lessons as necessary. She wants to continue Algebra 2 with Saxon...she feels it is more thorough and she likes the constant review with geometry mixed in.

I'm not sure.

I've been advised many times that Saxon is too difficult in the upper levels without a teacher. I CANNOT teach math. This level is beyond my capabilities. She will use the Saxon Teacher cd's if we go this route.

She is not new to Saxon...she actually worked through a good part of the Algebra 1 book in 9th grade, but gave it up to do TT instead. I just don't think she was developmentally ready for Saxon at the time. Now, she wishes she had just stuck it out with Saxon. She prefers the explanations and appreciates the more difficult level of work.

I think TT was good for her to help her get a better understanding of Algebra at a slower, simpler pace. I guess it served more of a pre-algebra purpose. She has been able to do just about everything in the Saxon Algebra 1 book with little or no trouble...so she obviously learned from TT.

We are hoping to complete Saxon Algebra 2 for 11th and Advanced Math for 12th. I just don't want it getting overwhelming for her at some point and then we have to move to something else...AGAIN...in order for her to get through high school math.

I have presented the option of using Lials Intermediate Algebra for Algebra 2, but, then what? Is there a Lials Pre-Calc?

She doesn't feel comfortable just finishing up with TT through Pre-Calc...she's been concerned that the difficulty level may cause a problem in college math...I just don't know...I would just as soon have her do what I know will get done, which is the TT.

As always, I appreciate any feedback.

Robin

what has been your experience with the Saxon Teacher? My dd has used the Algebra 1 just a little to explain a couple of things she's come across while reviewing.

Is it thorough enough to provide all the teaching along with the text? I cannot tutor her in any way, so she would be using these on her own...Dad would be able to help if needed, but after work only.

Thanks,

Robin